Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone ice fishing yet this year?
I know we are getting cold weather here and the upper elevation lakes have fishable ice on them, anyone finding any ice near your location?
[signature]
Firehole is frozen.

Viva and Kemmerer City are frozen over.

Fontenelle is getting there.
[signature]
Have you been out yet?
[signature]
Firehole has 7" of ice at the boat ramp on the 6th. 3" at fireholes swim beach. Caught ling all day long at boat ramp on nightcrawlers.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I've fished there years ago but I was not able to catch any ling during the day but it was later in the Winter, so maybe they had been fished pretty hard by then.
[signature]
No. Not yet.

I had a permission slip on the elk refuge last weekend and will probably go duck hunting this weekend. I normally will wait until duck season is over with to fish.

I know Viva and Kemmerer and Fontenelle by going up there to look for ducks.

I work with a lot of people that fish the gorge as well.
[signature]
Drove up to Viva Naughton yesterday and started fishing around 11:00 AM. Fished until 3:00 PM with nary a bite. Had a camera down and saw no trout. Did see a couple fish that looked like carp but nothing else. One guy packed up about 1:30 and came by my tent saying he caught 7 but the fishing was good prior to the time I got there. He and I were the only ones on the ice out from the boat ramp. Did see a couple other groups at the north end of the lake. Evidence around where I was fishing didn't indicate a lot of activity on the ice.
[signature]
Well that is too bad about no fish but thanks for the report. Hopefully your next trip out is better.
[signature]
I hit Sulfur Creek on December 13th last week. I found 5 inches of good ice there. Being my first time there for ice fishing I didnt know what to expect. I did catch some rainbows up to about 13 inches. The ice near the island was thinner. I was hoping to find some deeper water and score some walleye, but 30 ft was the deepest I found with the safest ice. I did mark fish that would look at my presentations at the 30ft mark but did not want to bite. Maybe walleye maybe not. I caught trout just off the bottom, as well as suspended about half way down the water column. If I get a chance, I might see if I can explore that lake again to look for the walleye through the ice.
Gabe
[signature]
Thanks for the report, that would be pretty cool to catch an eye while ice fishing, I've only been able to do it once. Good luck when you get out there next.
[signature]
As of today Lost Dog has 7" of clear ice. Open water near the cliffs but ice seems to be forming south of there. Caught 7 macs and 4 rainbows, most were decent size.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, sounds like a good day there at LD, how long were the decent sized Bow you caught?
Not really sure why but it seems there is always open water near the cliffs, at least early in the season.[:/]
[signature]