Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Ice
Ran up and checked Mantua this morning. An inch art the ramp. If the forecast holds, Wednesday is the day.
[signature]
Thanks Larry for checking that out, was there still any open water anywhere on the lake? I expect tonight will put down some good ice, so you might be able to do it Wednesday, but I think I need at least 3" for that pond, it get's scary because of the thinner spots up in that area I like to fish... Good luck and you be careful, don't want to hear about you getting wet again this year...(unless you get out okay then we'll laugh at you) You're definitely braver than I am... Be safe my friend.... later J
[signature]
Here are a couple more pics from today.
[signature]
There is some open water. Open off the point and where the crick runs in. Few spots open with springs.
[signature]
Oh boy it’s going to start soon. Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Hey Larry I’ll bet that 5 degrees helped things out. Probably be two inches today so this will be the day folks fall through. Then tomorrow or the next day the early guys will hit it and maybe safe by Saturday. Should make some fishing soon. Thanks for the reports. J
[signature]
I'll bet you folks fall through over the next 3-4 days...
hope I'm wrong. That lake is notorious for weak spots.
[signature]
[quote lavaman]I'll bet you folks fall through over the next 3-4 days...
hope I'm wrong. That lake is notorious for weak spots.[/quote]

And I can blame (credit) you with introducing me to the dangers of ice!

Sounds like time to sharpen some auger blades.
We can fish for channels under Manua ice! That'll be wild!
Well it’s sure a possibility unless I don’t get a chance to try it. But it’s so cold out there tonight I’m pretty sure it will be an inch thicker tomorrow. So by Friday I really think there will be 4” and that will hold just fine. Keeping my fingers crossed. Later J
[signature]
Someone posted two fish from Mantua tonight on the contest.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Those Channel Cats in Mantua are actually a hybrid. A cross between a Channel and a Bullhead. Conceived in the Fountain Green Hatchery. I asked the Biologst where the would be stocked and told that all of them went to Mantua. I know what they looked like when they were about 7”. Curious what they will turnout to be.
[signature]