Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake ?
Is it still fishable from the bank or jetty areas around Lincoln Beach? Forecast for cloudy, low 40's tomorrow. Would like to take the drive down and get some lines wet. Or maybe just the drive to get out of the house a few hours.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Just got back from a foray to Lincoln. Lots of ice with thunderous cracks booming across the entire lake. No ice fisherman observed other than in the harbor channel where two guys had drilled holes. Did not stop to see how they were doing cuz my fingers were frozen from 15 minutes at the first spring.

First spring is the only open water I observed and it was no bigger than maybe 20-30 feet wide -- absolutely teeming with whites. Any bug type lure dropped on the edge of the ice and slid into the water produced a wb… kinda like fishing in a hatchery. Caught a dozen, released a dozen and headed for the heater in my truck. One other guy showed up with his little boy and they picked up where I left off. Not really sporty, but fun.

Ice "looked" solid out in front of the spring but I did not venture forth -- expect some will be on the ice tomorrow morning. Air temp was a balmy 10 degrees, no wind.

I expect the small first spring open water to be a shoulder-to-shoulder affair tomorrow. Best bet will be on the ice near first spring if the ice is safe. As stated, the channel ice had fishermen on it.

Maybe someone will post a more up to date report on conditions later today.

Be safe.

BLK
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I'm glad you had a little fun and that it didn't cost you any frozen extremities!

I saw on the camera at the state park that there were 2 ice tents in the middle of the harbor this morning. I figured if it was thick enough there then the Lincoln harbor would also be safe, but it good to hear someone is on it today.

Just think, less than 2 months til the cat contest starts again!
[signature]
hey Lynn, thanks for the response. I don't venture out on any ice. Not an ice fisherman. Was hoping maybe there would still be some water ice free that I could bank tangle in. May take the drive down anyway.
Thanks again. Hope your holidays were happy and safe.
[signature]

Cool
Forest, you are surely welcome. Hope you can make it down this way, if not for winter wb, then for sure when the kittys start to play.

It is only a 15 minute ride for me to reach Lincoln so, out of boredom, I went back out when the temps warmed into the upper 20s. Only 3 people at the spring, a father and two sons from Nevada?? Anyhow, I decided to try a few more casts. I was using a TD RCK that I would lob out on the ice, reel it back until it dropped in the water and before I could take the first crank on my reel I would have a wb on. Probably caught 40-50 or so, all released. Caught one nine times out of every ten casts and on the tenth I would get a couple of hits. Beats watching tv.

Talked to one ice fisherman fishing just out from the point. He was a dedicated ice fisherman -- sled, power auger, underwater camera, various baits, half dozen ice rods, chair, hot drink thermos, and dressed to the hilt for any condition. He had a mixed bag of catches -- wb, perch, crappy, and gills. He had fished the ice out deeper earlier in the week and did well but said it had tapered off in the recent past and most of what he could find on camera in deeper water were carp, lots of carp.

Think I will ride out that way in the a.m. just for the entertainment factor. Being a Sat. with expected mild temps there will be lots of people there. Fun to watch.

Great time to take some younguns' fishing; not much chance of them losing interest or being bored.

Ice go away so the real fishing can begin.

BLK
[signature]
Bring on ICE OFF!!!!!!!!![cool]
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
[#0000FF]Ya got my vote.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Now if we all went down there with big propane weed burners....
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Well, fish or not, wife and I are heading out soon. Take a lazy day and get some breakfast then head to LB.

Thanks
[signature]

Cool
[frown]
Check out further west of Lincoln to where the Loys are carp fishing under the ice ! They have to cut huge holes to thread their net through and are usually done by late afternoon. You can fish those holes after they leave or while they are removing the carp from the net, the other holes are open. Just don't get in their way !! You should see some eagles out there also, they like to hang around and pick up carp that fall off the wagon as they are driven back to shore. If they haven't started fishing yet, they should shortly.

PS: it is a bit of a trek out there, be aware !!!
[quote ratnest]

I guess BLK has street cred.
I made a similar comment a few days back about the WB on the West side doing very well, and kentofnsl was quick to post that I should not be believed.

[/quote]

I told him not to believe the gentleman who told him the bite in Provo Harbor had been slow for two weeks. I did not question your comment that the west side was fishing well.
[signature]
Wife and I did make it to LB yesterday about 10 a.m. There were a few folks fishing thru the ice in the LB marina, just off the boat ramp. down the trail to the first spring there were 2 guys casting toward edge of ice, reeling back and maybe every other cast bringing in a WB. There was a ice tent a bit further out and one lone guy just beyond that jigging thru a ice hole. Everyone seemed to be catching. Having never fished in this environment, I tried to copy what others were doing. Lite line, small white, or yellow, or black and green grub on a very small jig hook about 2 feet under a small bobber, cast, reel back at various speeds. No luck. The main purpose was to get out of the house awhile. We did that. But when the young kids showed up, cast over my line, tangled up a couple times, and it became close quarter combat fishing, we decide to relinquish our spots to them and packed up.
[signature]

Cool
Thanks for the report, especially the pictures. Did you happen to get an ice thickness? Some people will go out on ice that to me is just too thin.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Nope. No ice thickness measurement. I don't venture out on to any ice at any time.
[signature]

Cool
Understood. Just thought that you might have picked up the word from somebody there. Pisco and others have filled me in anyway.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.