Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walleye Caught In Ririe
Ok, so I am trying to verify a story, rumor or whatever that someone caught a 7lb eye supposedly yesterday, Jan 11, 2019 through the ice. Any rumor to the truth or pics? If so, this would almost have to be one of the first eyes dumped illegally into Ririe. And makes one wonder what this year will bring to catching more. Thanks everyone and be safe out there on the ice.
[signature]
Well I should have done a google on this first, here is a link to the story and it's true!!! Now watch people flock to Ririe hoping to catch another one.

[url "https://www.eastidahonews.com/2019/01/local-angler-catches-large-walleye-at-ririe-reservoir/"]https://www.eastidahonews.com/2019/01/local-angler-catches-large-walleye-at-ririe-reservoir/[/url]
[signature]
Bill did a good job at reporting the event. I was there and the story is accurate. First walleye I have personally seen. It was a beaut. The fishing has been real slow mostly perch that are small and a rare koke. Ice conditions are fair with about 5 inches.
[signature]
Thanks for the link, that is a nice fat walleye, I can't remember reading of one that big ever being caught in Id or Ut during ice fishing season. The article said, "the state record of 13 pounds caught in Oakley Reservoir", is that correct? Seems to me I remember someone catching a 16 lber during a tournament at Salmon fall res.
[signature]
Yes the article is incorrect WH2. The Oakley fish was 17.88 pounds.
[signature]
Thanks, I knew that wasn't correct but thought maybe there was two records, one for catch and release and on for catch.
[signature]
There is a catch and release record but it only goes by length. Current C&R walleye record is 31.5" caught on Salmon Falls Creek Reservoir.
[signature]
I remember that old store, on the road going to Jackpot Nv, that had a big eye hanging inside, that was a big one, not sure how big it was but it was caught in SFCR. A 31.5" eye would have been a good one.
[signature]
They have several mounts there of the state records over the years. They also have the best cheese burgers in Idaho. Meet me there and I’ll buy you one. I frequent salmon falls at least once a week during the winter. Been doing real well on brookies out at roseworth. Never have caught a walleye thru the ice. Not enough flow in the snake for Gertrude.
[signature]
So the store is still there, as old as it looked when I was there years ago, I'm surprised it is still standing. I doubt I'll make it up there anytime soon but I will be making several trips up to the Boise area this Spring to bring a greenhouse. I might be able to stop by, maybe the water flow will be higher then. Any size to the brookies out at roseworth?
[signature]

[signature]
Wow, nice brookie.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Wow, nice brookie.[/quote]

Are you sure that's a brookie?

My brother and I fished Roseworth in June and picked up three splake while trolling.

The Idaho Fish & Game site doesn't show stocking of either species.[:/]
[signature]
When I googled it, this is what I found:
"Native Idaho Trout are plentiful in Southeast Idaho! Southeast Idaho is a paradise for fishing. If you stay on the Interstate highways you'll see very little of the abundance of waters which make the area a Mecca for dedicated fishermen winter and summer. Thirty one fishable reservoirs and many streams, creeks, and rivers are located in the 110 mile length and 105 mile breadth of this travel region. Species include Rainbow Trout, Cutthroat Trout, Brown Trout, Brook Trout, Lake Trout, Bull Trout, Chinook, Salmon, Kokanee Salmon, Coho Salmon, Steelhead, White Sturgeon, Mountain Whitefish, Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass, Crappie, Bluegill, Yellow Perch, Channel Catfish, Bullhead Catfish, and Pumpkinseed."
So it is possible they are in there but really, I haven't looked at it close, as to the drainage all these fish are in.
I did not think it looked too much like a brookie but I wasn't there and I did not see a reason to dispute what he said.
[signature]
Definitely a male Brook Trout. Square Tail and vermiculaions are key. Nice, thanks for sharing.
[signature]
First Brooke I have ever seen caught a Ririe .
[signature]
Sorry, we kind of got off topic, the brookie was caught at Roseworth:
[quote dtayboyz]They have several mounts there of the state records over the years. They also have the best cheese burgers in Idaho. Meet me there and I’ll buy you one. I frequent salmon falls at least once a week during the winter. Been doing real well on brookies out at roseworth. Never have caught a walleye thru the ice. Not enough flow in the snake for Gertrude.[/quote]
[signature]
Have been laid up dealing with back issues since November so I have not been out fishing since then. I caught my first walleye at Ririe on an evening trip in October of this year though. Was a nice 21 inch male. Caught it in about 20 ft of water fishing for perch on a small jig tipped with piece of crawler. That was the first one that I had personally seen in over 10 years of fishing the lake. One thing to note... couple of small perch in the gut, nothing else.
[signature]
My buddy has mounted a couple state records from Idaho and seems like they were 16 or 17 lbs. I think one came out of Salmon Falls and the other out of Oakley they were caught out of a boat.
[signature]
I remember you saying that before and I know Crankem's wife caught one that big at SFR some years back.
[signature]