Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(poll) how do you use real worms as bait?
[font "UnivrstyRoman Bd BT"][#800000][size 3]As I was sitting here I was thinking about how I rigged my worms,and wanted to know how everyone rgged there's? [/size][/#800000][/font]

[font "UnivrstyRoman Bd BT"][#800000][size 3] I rig mine by hooking just the head of the worm, with no weight (but if I need wieght a slip wheight)I keep a lot of slack in the line. I dont look at my pole for hits I look at my line for movement. [/size][/#800000][/font]

[font "UnivrstyRoman Bd BT"][#800000][size 3] I feel that by doing it this way the worm looks like it should. when the fish picks it up there is no pressure on the line,so the fish has room to pick it up and move and get it all in it's mouth. [/size][/#800000][/font]

[font "UnivrstyRoman Bd BT"][#800000][size 3] I started doing this after I read a book years ago on how to fish a lindy rig for walleye. yes I did some changes on it but thats where the idea came form. [/size][/#800000][/font]

[font "UnivrstyRoman Bd BT"][#800000][size 3] so how many way is there the rig up a worm? hum [crazy] lets find out so post up. and if you have a way that sounds funny but hooks fish then it's not funny it works.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
I used to use only worms to fish with. And some of the biggest fish I ever caught have been on worms. My preferred method is to thread the worm over the whole hook and up the line. Just the tail of the worm is free to wiggle. Then like you, I use as light of weight as possible to get the job done.
[signature]
i use a 2/0 baitholder hook thread the worm on and leave one to onehalf inch worm free to wiggle on both ends tip with a marshmallow for trout. for catfish same only tip with white bass
[signature]
I never use a whole worm. I rip off a 1" piece and go to town. Natural worms wouldn't be as big as a whole worm plus I look it as a waste if I used a whole worm.
[signature]
For finess fishing in crystal clear water for bass, walleye, panfish & trout, I use little 10 to 14 sized strait hooks. I thread the bottom half up the shank, so that its totally strait. The worm starts to crawl along the bottom, and WHAM the fish hits. Just don't try it where snags are! The worm will find them!

For warm water fishing, I thread on half a worm on a size 6-8 strait hook. I cast out with minimal weight, and watch the line. Usually the fish will run side ways with it, not strait away. Once they have it, I flip the bail, let them run for 5 seconds more and set the hook.

For trout on streams, I put a whole worm with 2 split shots above it. Then I hold the line between my fingers and feel for any diffrences. Usually they'll be rocks, but some times their trout. If it's definetly a trout, I keep slight tension and set the hook when I'm sure he has it.

I also tip my gitzits on the Jordan with night crawlers. Just a quarter of a worm threaded on. Also, with power bait it can work wonders. Just a half a worm and some rainbow sparkle powerbait to go with it. It works with salmon eggs and marshmallows, too.

One other way I use them-use a hypodermic needle to put air in them for suspended gills, perch and crappie. Then, put a weight on above it & let it float right up to them
[signature]
For trout I use a number 8 baithook, I rip off the fat end and put it and a mallo on with a slide sinker I let out alot of line and wait for the line to take off, open the bail to let it run a little and then set the hook.I use the same setup except without the mallo for cats and carp. My biggest and only walleye he was 18 inches was caught off the bottom with a worm at willard last year. I have also caught alot of wiper off the bottom this way also.
[signature]
I USE A SLIP SINKER AND A #8 EAGLE CLAW HOOKED THREW THE HEAD THEN I USE A HYPODERMIC NEADLE AND FILL HIM WITH AIR. THEN HE FLOATS AND REALY WIGLES HARD AIR IN THE BODY MUST HURT BECAULSE HE REALY WIGLES.
[signature]
I rig my worms like you would a rubber worm for pitching, I use the lightest Gamagatsu hook and slip weight possible about a foot or more above the worm, I also put on the lightest line possible somtimes down to 2 lbs if I am going after trout, heavier with bass and cats, I thread the tip of the head on then push the hook thru, turn the worm a 180 degrees and put the point back into the body so the knot and the tip of the hook are not exposed. I also use the line as an indicator of a pick up not the tip of the pole, I will use this method with slip bobbers to drift over cover, or use the hypodermic air method for suspending when jigged. it has worked with many species and areas and is my go to bait when everything else is failing to get the bigger fish. [Tongue][cool][Wink]
[signature]
For catfish I usually get either a half or a whole nightcrawler and ball it up good on a size 2 hook. I leave about 3/4 inch of each end hanging off and hook it up using a T-swivel so that I can have two hooks baited -- both with worms or one with a worm and the other with fresh carp meat or white bass meat.
I try not to put any sinker on unless I need to cast farther, since sometimes they'll feel the weight of the sinker and drop the bait. If I do use a sinker I'll use a 1/4 oz. sliding egg sinker.

For trout I hook a small marshmallow on first and I leave maybe 1 to 1 1/2 inch of each end hanging off.

For bluegill, perch, and other panfish, I just put on a 1 inch piece of worm if you put more than that they just end up stealing it anyway and nibbling the ends off. It can drive you crazy cause you keep getting hits but you don't ever hook anything. So a small piece is better, usually under a bobber.
[signature]
There are a number of ways to fish a worm, depending on the water and the fish you are after. However, I have a universal way that works great for me in streams, lakes, trolling, etc. Rigging the worm on the hook is always the same. The difference comes in the other tackle, such as weights, bobbers, leaders, popgear, etc.

I pinch a whole night crawler in half and then, starting with the broken end of one of the halves, I thread the worm up the hook, like you are stringing the hook through the hollow part of a cooked elbow macaroni, until all but about 1/2 inch of the worm is on the hook. At that point I push the hook out the side of the worm again. I then pull the worm up the line until the worm straightens out and only the bend of the hook is sticking out the side of the worm. This way no matter where a fish bites, he has some hook or line in his mouth. When trolling it tracks through the water real nice. When still fishing it looks pretty natural and not all globbed up.

Once a friend of mine was shocked that I could catch any fish at all when trolling a popgear and a worm like that. He had been taught all his life that if any part of the hook was showing at all then the fish would not take the worm. Nah, it works fine. Even in when still fishing in crystal clear water the fish don't care about the hook. I've caught hundreds and hundreds of fish that way while doing all type of fishing.

m
[signature]
Regardless of the hook size, sinkers, etc., if you use half a worm, use the back or tail half first. Otherwise that half dies if you put it back in the box. The front or head section has all the "vitals" and when pinched in half will immediately start the regeneration process. Besides, it seems like you can never find the half you put back so it make sense to use the dead-half.
[signature]