Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing Oneida Narrows
Hey guys I’m looking to go hit Oneida narrows this weekend for the walleye. Any info on structure in the lake? Gravel, rock etc? Thanks in advance
[signature]
I have fished there many times in the summer, but from what I've read and been told the ice can be really sketchy and to venture out on it at your own risk. Have heard stories of a 4 to 8 foot air gap between the ice and water due to water releases from the dam. That being said, I have also heard from people that have fished it through the ice and said it was fine. If you go , be extra cautious and be sure to post what you find, because I would love to know myself.
[signature]
Hey thanks for the info! Any info on where to try on the lake?
[signature]
They don't maintain the road past the boat ramp near the dam, so unless you have a snowmobile to ride further down the road (would not recommend taking one out on the ice due to iffy ice conditions i mentioned before), you will pretty much be limited to fishing right near the dam. If you do have a snowmobile, there are some good areas just past the maple Grove campground. I also know there are warm Springs further up the reservoir, so as mentioned before just be extra cautious and always check the ice before venturing far and check it frequently as you move. Wish I could help you more, but with what I have heard i am a little too chicken to try it myself without some solid info on ice conditions. Maybe you can check it out and reassure me a bit, because I sure catch a lot of good perch, walleye, and smallmouth out of there during open water season, and would love to give it a go on the hard deck if safe.
[signature]
Sounds good!! We don’t have a snowmobile but I’ve got chains for all 4 tires if the snow isn’t too deep. We will check it out this morning and I’ll post a report when I get back. Good to know there are other species in there. Not so good for trout though??
[signature]
There are definitely some good size trout in there. I have only ever caught a couple of them because I am specifically targeting the other species mentioned. There are also thousands of giant Carp in there that are lots of fun when you hook them as a "happy accident ". Excited to hear what you find out there. I doughty you could drive your truck down the road regardless of chains,because they usually pile up a giant snow bank when they plow for parking at the dam that blocks the road. Good luck
[signature]
Well, did you go check it out????
[signature]
I fished the Onida narrows on jan 24. the road was plowed all the way around to the hot springs in fact parking was cleared at the campground halfway up. I caught some nice perch and some dinky walleye. The ice was fine everywhere I went and lots of sign of others fishing at the dam and the campground. I did best in 20+ water, good luck.
[signature]
Do they plow the road from the north from highway 34 or south from 36? I tried finding the dam in early November and my GPS took me up a Jeeping road.
[signature]
To get to the dam from the south stay right when you near the dam and the road goes around the shops and climbs up to the res. and ramp. The plow job was all of the oneida narrows road from the dam upstream past Maple Hot Spring to highway 34.
[signature]