Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Micro Baitcasters for Panfish
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I want to pick up a couple high quality micro baitcasters for panfishing that specialize using 4 & 6 pound test line. Also I would like precision drags to work smoothly with these lighter lines. I want all this in a small, compact design. Any thing out there worthy of a discriminating tackle ho'? [/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]I like the Shimano Bantams. Light weight and mid price range...but with Shimano quality. I have gone largely baitcasting, with left hand retrieve, for fishing jigs as small as 1/16 oz. With quality 6# mono I have landed large bass, cats, carp and other heavyweights.[/size]

[size 1]I actually built 4 special rods for fishing ultralight baitcasting...7 foot medium light action spinning blanks with trigger grips and baitcasting guides. They provide good "load up" for casting light jigs, and extra cushion for battling bigger fish on light line.[/size]

[size 1]I went on a search for other lightweights recently and noticed that BassPro had a couple in the light range also. Haven't tested them. [/size]

[size 1]I am also still using some OLD Abu mini baitcasters I have had for over 20 years. I have used them in salt water and fresh for some pretty tough customers, and they still cast smoothly with light line...and the drags are great. Like any reels, proper maintenance is a key to long life and good performance.[/size]

[size 1]These small reels are good for ice fishing too. Put them on a three or four foot fast taper stick and you have both sensitivity and power. The smoother drag of a baitcaster is definitely better when working big fish to the hole than a stuttering spinning reel.[/size]
[signature]
Try a Shimano Calcutta 50. It's a little pricey, but you won't regret the purchase.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]