Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon 2/16/19
East Canyon turned into my backup plan after Holmes Creek access proved risky on Saturday with soft edges and no other anglers there as backup. I’d never been to East Canyon before, but it was one catchinon and I discussed recently. There were only about 12 groups on East Canyon when I arrived. I set up in about 48 fow just off the boat ramp and toward the dam. I wasn’t marking many fish, but noted my nearsest neighbor catching fish regularly. I eventually wandered over to inquire about his methods. He was real friendly and showed me he was using a small green tube jig or similar to an atomic teaser without the tail, baited with corn and a small piece of power bait. He also showed me how he was marking fish in the 10-15 foot range. He left shortly after that to join the rest of his party down by the dam, so I moved over to his abandoned holes. Just like the top 3 keys to selling real estate, location, location, location proved to be the key, as I caught my first rainbow soon after moving over. Another guy wandered over and showed me what he was using, what appeared to be a green ratfinkee or tungsten jig, tipped with a wax worm. I couldn’t get anything to bit my wax or meal worms or piece of chub. However, using a green ratfinkee and a green atomic teaser with orange “tail”, both tipped with green Powerbait trout nuggets, I caught a bunch of cookie cutter rainbows (10-12”). Fun and productive day, thanks to a couple of fellow anglers willing to share.

The edges were a little soft getting on the ice, and a little worse getting off. There was maybe 12-14” of ice, with 3” of snow and 3” of slush on top.
[signature]

jack of all tackle, master of none
Nice to hear your still getting at em. Glad you practiced safety and moved to a safe place and was rewarded with a fun and successful day. Nice when people take the time to share their knowledge with their fellow men so everyone can have a little fun.
[signature]
Thank you for the detailed info. I am taking our young men ice fishing there today. White with red flecks was the magical color a couple weeks ago, I will change up to Chartreuse for this trip per your experience, plus bring a plank!
[signature]