Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Catfish Contest- Tin-Can
Jeff, sign up the wife (TinCansMate) and myself. North Team of course. And we have our placards already printed and laminated.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
You're good to go... J
[signature]
Friday, opening day. Weather was beautiful but still just a bit cool. Got a late start on Bear River about 1030. Stopped and talked with Ahi1953 at first bridge. Saw several anglers along the river. Some were obviously working for Walleye, some like me, watching cat poles. Went all the way to the bottom gates, dropped my lines in at the north-west branch. Gave it about an hour, no joy. Moved back up river to big log spot on south side, no joy.
Tried one last spot across road on south side, and strike 3, your out. [:/]

River level is pretty close to the top of the banks, running swift. Got to try out the new Orange 30 lb. Catfish mono. For the visibility reason I bought it, works great, can see it from several yards away, and all angles. Definitely not a line for finesse casting. Comes off the reel rough and stays coiled for several minutes until slack is reeled up. Once it has settled, coil straightens out and it is more sensitive to water movement and hopefully fish bites. For big "horse-ability" only time will tell.
[signature]

Cool
A new bump board for Jeff to approve...........if I can get the photos to load.

I'll try these, but I guess I need a new camera.

[inline "(03) New Bump board.jpg"]

[inline (05a).jpg]

[inline (07).JPG]

The clip at the end of the board is not for holding contest Cats. It's to use when I cut up carp for bait at the river . The fish tape that my carpenters tape measure is under at the top of each photo is the measuring area I will have the contest Cats lined up with.
Also, not in photo, I have 2 Velcro straps I may try to use that can go around the board and the fish. One just behind the dorsal spike, and if needed one near the tail, but neither will block the critical numbers needed to score, or the line up of the fish with the end of beginning of tape.
I don't have the equipment that Ahi does with a remote camera and tripod that allows me to hold fish and not worry about camera. Need something that will hold fish for just that few seconds while I get a good focused photo.

Anyway, Jeff, let me know what you think.
[signature]

Cool
Hey Forest that looks really nice, well done!!! One thing, when you post photos always attach one full size photo so I can zoom in... The in-line photos lose clarity and I can't see what I need to see, so just for future reference... This board is good to go... have fun with it... Too bad it will get all slimy, when it looks so nice now... Later Jeff
[signature]
Thanks Jeff.
Yeah, thats why I put a dozen coats of clear poly on it. Hopefully the fish slime will wash off easy. Included all the photos I have of this as attachments. Maybe you can see them better. Some with flash some without.

I think the pics will come out better if taken with my wife's smart phone camera [:/]
[signature]

Cool
Looks good Forest one of those pics showed what I needed to see. I forgot your pictures won’t zoom. Oh well we can see good enough. Good luck. Jeff
[signature]
Well, 2 months into the contest, I finally got one for the board. Not huge, but hopefully a start of some better to come.

Lincoln Beach Flotilla, Sat 4 May, out at Bird Island.
The only one either of us on the Tin-Can boated. In fact, the only bite we had I think.

Channel Cat 23 inch

[#0000bf]Well, the photo would not load from this PC. Will have to do it tonight after work.[/#0000bf]

[#ff0000]OK, lets try this again.[/#ff0000]
[#ff0000]
[/#ff0000]

[#ff0000]23 " Cat[/#ff0000]
[#ff0000]Utah Lake[/#ff0000]
[#ff0000]4 May 2019[/#ff0000]
[#ff0000]
[/#ff0000]

[#00bf00]Nice Forest, good for 23 points and helping the north come back in the top 20...[/#00bf00]

Cool
OK, got my second board filler.

Bear River Bird Refuge

10 May 2019

25 inch.

[#00bf00]Nice Forest good for 25 points[/#00bf00]
[signature]

Cool
And finally the Bear is starting to play nice for me. Not the GIANTS that John or jig-fisher gets, but worth the effort today.

Bear River
11 May 2019, 1008 A.M.
27 inch

Bear River
11 May 2019, 1222 P.M.
24.5 inch

That should bump off that 23 inch from UL . Should make a 76.5 point total. That ought to move me up a bit out of the basement.

[#00bf00]Way to go Forest, good for 27 and 24.5 points.. Great weekend for you... J[/#00bf00]
[signature]

Cool
Nicely done. I knew it was just a matter of time before you struck it rich.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Not rich, but getting "comfortable" [sly]
[signature]

Cool
Good go’un Forest. I new your luck would change.
[signature]
Very nice Forest
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Good job and nice fish. I would have liked to see how big that one was that got off! Hopefully I can run into you sometime. I did meet John this week and I would like to put a face with the name.
[signature]
Well, it looks like you are several points ahead of where you finished last year so I can see why you are "comfortable". You have lots of time to improve that to where you feel "rich". Good luck.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Yea, me too. Never saw it, but felt it. Might not have been real long, but it felt like a good solid 10 to 12 lbs. Bear River Cats this year have been pretty husky. They must have eaten well over the winter.

Wife and I went back out Sunday, both got skunked.............[:/]
[signature]

Cool
17 May 2019

Bear River

Cat # 1 28.00 "

Cat #2 26.50"

Carp cut bait

[#00bf00]Great job Forest, good for 28 and 26.5... welcome to the big leagues.... nicely done... J[/#00bf00]
[signature]

Cool
Are you drying out yet? Yesterday sure was a wet cold day. Nice pair of cats by the way.
[signature]
I actually didn't get wet yesterday. I sat in my truck when it was raining, but the rain didn't last long. Actually turned out rather a nice day.

Went back up to the river today, was cloudy and windy, but no rain while I was there.

Only caught one Cat and wasn't contest worthy. At least it won't help me any, so I did the CPR thing, and let it go.
[signature]

Cool