Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport - 3/1/2019
I was out on the west side of Rockport from 11am to 4pm. The ice on the edge was a bit soft but it was still stable to walk on. The ice thickness was 15" where I fish with depth of 48'.

I caught & released 7 stock rainbow at various FOW from 13' to the bottom. All the trout looked the same to me and I told my wife that it the same fish the kept biting my bait...

By the time I left the reservoir, the edges were very soft and my 7-foot plank did not help. My leg went through the ice and water level was above my knee. So, for those who planned to venture out this weekend, be very cautious on the soft edges and you might need a plank longer than 7'.

Good luck.
[signature]
I was also on the west side of Rockport today . I fished in 26 ft. water . Fishing was good for nice sized perch and planter rainbows . Getting on the ice was good but getting off I also went through, but only about a foot deep . Take a good plank and I think you will be alright . Snow tonight and a little colder . BE SAFE !!!
[signature]
Fished your area Saturday from 7 to 5. Almost non stop planter bows all day. Couldn't get the perch to play. I could see them on the finder. Tried everything. Very few very light tugs, but no perch hook ups. Edges were bad getting on and off. Sorry we got cut off on the phone. Did you hear the splash? Well the lake took my phone. I got the fish. Phone dropped, bounced on the ice, and down the hole it went.
[signature]
You know I did hear a splash and I told my wife I wonder if he dropped his phone down the hole . Because you never called back . DARN !!! I wish you could have caught a tagged fish to make up for your lose . Perch on the finder all day and no takers ? Maybe they are too small to bite or getting in the spawn mod . So sorry about your phone !!!!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I was there today fishing in 63 FOW and ended up with 27 from 8" to 10" plus 4 trout. This was an earlier picture and doesn't show all that I caught. Life is good.[/size][/#800000][/font][inline 20190304_125009.jpg]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Were you able to get a snow machine on the Ice, or were you on foot?
[signature]
[quote Dog-lover]Were you able to get a snow machine on the Ice, or were you on foot?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I got my snowmobile on with 2 riders and hauling 2 sleds. I would NOT do that again. Coming off at 2 PM was easy and we had no problems.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Here is my recommendation for getting on. Haul your pull sleds to the shore line and detach. Connect a long line to the pull sleds and toss it over the weak shore ice to the solid ice beyond. Get a good run at the ice from shore and pick a spot with a very low angle of approach. Keep your speed up and you will get across the weak gap with little or no problems. It is very likely that your track will break through and get wet - but if you keep you speed up, you WILL get across without sinking the snowmobile. Then grab the rope you threw across earlier and hand pull the pull sleds across the weak ice. They more than likely will come across with no ill effects. Even if the break through the ice, they float and you can still get them across. Coming off you don't need to do that. Just keep your speed up and you'll be fine. The main ice is at least 15" thick.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Many Thanks! You did well.
[signature]