Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua 3/2
I fished Mantua today with my son, daughter in law, and 5 yr old grandson. Edges were good. The ice was 13” thick with 3” of snow on top. The top 2” was frozen slush with 11” of good ice. We fished from 8:30-12:00. We drill a lot of holes and and finally the fish showed up at 10:00. We caught 10 perch in the next hour and a half then the bite stopped. A small green jig head with a small white gizzy bug tipped with Tube Dudes processed perch recipe did the trick. My grandson reeled in his first fish today! I think he’s hooked.

We found one of those infamous Mantua soft spots today. An irregular shaped circle on the ice about 18” across that was froze but didn’t have any snow on it. I had already drilled a lot of holes around it before I noticed it and the ice was good. Because of a warning posted on BFT earlier in the season I told the others to stay clear of it. With my back turned my grandson being curious walked over and stepped on it and one leg went throw to to his thigh. Luckily the rest of the ice held and he was able to crawl out. Got to stay vigilant. All in all a fun trip.
[signature]
Wow! It doesn't get any closer to a tragedy than that. Glad the boy is okay. Another thing that he won't forget. Any size to the perch?
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
I didn’t put a tape to them but they were about 7-8”
[signature]