Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Fork Clearwater Steelhead
I will be headed up for my annual trip to the So Fork Clearwater for Steelhead. With a section of the river closed. I was wondering what the conditions were like? Fisherman pressure, how is the bite? Any one with any insight as far as the closure is concerned?. Any thoughts? Thanks for any input.
[signature]
There is around a foot of snow from Harpster down and a lot more above the Grangeville grade. Plenty of pressure and at times this week only a few holes really fishable with the ice and snow. Last couple days 2 pit tags and nothing for previous 3 weeks. 12 total since the 1st of the year. With the amount of valley snow all the way to the top on east and west sides any weather over 50 degrees will blow it out. I do not see any fishing past the 18th if the forecast holds for 55 plus temperatures 8 days out and beyond. Bottom creeks will dump a lot of mud on the initial cfs raise of over 50 cfs so a very short window on the bottom and very few fish on top where the water will be clear. A fair chance it may close Friday anybody's clue about waiver from feds. Temperatures are cold enough this next week the river should fish better this week with marginal new fish with temperatures under 45 degrees and freezing nights. Have not been up but will be there this next week and expect a big crowd as this may be it for a couple weeks if left open. Should fish through next Sunday.
[signature]