Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firewood?
I just realized a life-long dream to have a fireplace in my home. I grew up in houses that were heated by wood and coal stoves, have worked as a logger, cut and sold firewood, etc. so it's not like I don't know about firewood. But I'd like to hear opinions on what would be good wood to burn in a family room fireplace without consideration of how much heat would be generated. What would make a nice family-friendly fire?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Tree wood.[Wink]
[signature]
If you are wanting a fire that pops and crackles then I would stick with the woods that have sap in then like pine and pinion.

This year I had a pile of willow that was dry enough and it made for a nice fire in my wood stove. I also like aspen but it burns fairly quick.

One that burns long and hot is cottonwood but I hate the way it smells and splitting it is even worse.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
For heat content, it is pretty hard to beat pinion or juniper. One piece of advice is to make sure you declare your solid fuel heating device to your home insurance agent. If you don't and you have a fire, your loss will probably not be covered. Expect your annual premium to go up as well.
[signature]
Thanks, that's good to know. I hadn't even thought about that at all.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Close- one letter off. Free wood burns best for me
[signature]
You sound like my wife--free is a good price. For a while there I thought you were dead; haven't heard much from you lately. I was glad to see that you and your son are coming to the Flotilla--see you there.
[signature]

I try to help when I can. Actually western tree wood is the best.
[signature]
I'm going to have to look into that tree wood thing. I'm tired of burning sagebrush.
[signature]

Careful with burning sage, it has a similar smell to an herbal recreational plant. Don't want your neighbors getting the wrong idea about you. [crazy]
[signature]
How often will the fireplace be used? I have an ambition problem when it comes time to get wood split and ready to use and then all the no burn days due to the environmental conditions.
[signature]
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
Been around a lot of burning sage and weeds while farming and fighting range fires. That stuff you mention smells more like the weed to me [Sad].

When I first moved here I got in trouble for burning sticks and weeds in the back yard. Coming from the country I never thought for a moment that I would alarm the neighbors. $75 later and I understood.
[signature]

Maple and ash are great for fire wood!
[signature]
My favorite is pinion. It does pop bad. You have to have a screen. Cottonwood might not smell so good but has very little creosote build up and does not pop.
[signature]
Thanks for the input. When I was growing up our ranch was covered with chained pinyon and cedar. We used it in our stove and cut and sold it to make a little money in the winter. Splitting it is one of the best stress relievers I've ever experienced. I just have to figure out where to get some around here.

It was a treat to meet you at the Flotilla. If you lived closer I would love to fish with you sometime.
[signature]

Thanks Craig, it was me that got the treat. Meeting you and everyone else. I wish we could fish together.
[signature]
I thought I heard that you live in Idaho. Where about?
[signature]

On KSL classified in the free section there have been several ads for free fire wood. People trying to get rid of blowdowns and trimmed limbs.
[signature]
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
If you want cottonwood i have a couple tons of it, in pleasant grove
[signature]
Thank you. How does it burn?
[signature]