Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Side imaging on sonar
I am thinking of getting a new sonar for my boat. It seems like a lot of different units offer side imaging. Does that feature show what is to the side of you AND its depth? I have been watching some YouTube clips to get a better understanding but I am still lost.
[signature]
[quote Fishin_dad]I am thinking of getting a new sonar for my boat. It seems like a lot of different units offer side imaging. Does that feature show what is to the side of you AND its depth? I have been watching some YouTube clips to get a better understanding but I am still lost.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Side imaging DOES show you what is off to the side of your boat. However, I believe the depth is only read directly below your boat.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I have Humminbird Onix and it does show you the depth of side targets.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
It takes time to learn how to use SI and watching a lot of youTube.

the fish show up as white marks on SI and Down Imaging, and the shadows show you how deep the fish are but he best way to see how deep the fish are is with 2D sonar,

but with SI you can see over 120 feet to each side of the boat you can change this out 80 feet to each sid will give you more detail

here are a bunch of snapshots the first one is a lot of rocks
some you can see the fishin the water column under the boat

the deeper the water you are in the wider the water column is
It works good at willard but fishing for kokanee I never use Side imaging some people do .

How To Interpret Side Imaging Sonar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti...TO8_j8wYFo
Webinar: Understanding Sonar with Kirt Hedquist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ct3sXJ5g0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd8BEitAnXk&t=317s
[signature]
[quote WET1] I have Humminbird Onix and it does show you the depth of side targets.[/quote]You may be right, but I can't say because the Onix is discontinued and I have never used one. The latest series of HB sonars give a depth of a side image waypoint that is the depth directly under the vessel. I know the Lowrance Elite sonars do not give a depth of a point out in the side image.
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[quote liketrolling]

It takes time to learn how to use SI and watching a lot of youTube.
[url "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd8BEitAnXk&t=317s[/quote]"][/quote][/url]

Amen
[signature]
For us with new boat we have Helix 10 Chrip Si GPS G2N in cockpit for trolling and at bow Helix 9 Chrip GPS G2N for casting.

Lots of info on YouTube plus we called Humminbird and they are sending paper manual. Each time we go out we focus on learning a specific thing about equipment. As some have said it’s a whole lot. Guess it all depends on what you want to fish for plus invest in as far as a fish liar haha.

I can tell you this, what I’ve seen on the Helix is mind blowing on bottom, structures including fish etc it’s putting time on water and tuning equipment for what one targets.

So it’s always learning and investing the time to learn. We are are still learning a lot on the above equipment I mentioned.

Anyways is what you want to do and what you want to spend plus how you want to use it. My .02 FWIW
[signature]
Thanks for those youtube videos. I previously watched one of them, but the long one with Kirt was new to me and answered my questions very well. Thank you for sending me to them.
[signature]
I made this I'm not to good at talking are making a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAfLVg_4-V0&t=626s

If you are buying a fishfinder get a good one

once I find and mark Kokanee I use the GPS and map to stay on them
[signature]
I love my helix 7 si I use it for Kokanee fishing the most. I’m still learning a lot about it but last summer we were able to mark a school of kokes 50 feet to the right of the boat. We made a big loop back over the marked spot and hooked up on three of the four down riggers so after that I was hooked. I would really like to learn how to use it in shallow water for bass or catfish but haven’t figured it out, deep water it is much easier to read in my opinion but probably just my inexperience.
[signature]
I have seen the videos with a 360 image but I am a little Confused. It seems like when I google hummingbird 360 I just get hits and info about a transducer and a deployment system. If I wanted a unit that did 360 what should I look for. In other words is there a unit that has it all included in the box or do I have to buy a sonar and then get a special transducer separately. If that is the case, what screen model will work with the 360 transducer.
[signature]
I'm tempted to buy a fancy full featured fish finder for my kayak and have it for later when I buy a sailboat, but new and better is always available the next year ant that favors waiting. Then I look at the pictures of the displays and figure I might as well buy a painting of abstract art because that will have about the same meaning at least until my brain somehow learns to comprehend the nuances of the images.
[signature]