Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pressure Cooker Testing
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]This is just an FYI post about getting your pressure cooker/caner tested. I do a lot of pressure canning of fish mostly, but do game meat as well. Getting the correct pressure is essential for 100% safe food. Pressure cookers should be tested periodically to verify that they are, in fact, getting to the correct pressure during your cooks.
[/size][/font][/#800000]

[#800000][size 3][font "Comic Sans MS"]And The USU Extension Service will do this for you at a charge of $2/lid. Since I live in Weber County, I will use the office at the Weber County Fairgrounds in Ogden. If you live elsewhere, you will have to contact the USU Extension Service directly for information on the closest office to you.[/font][/size][/#800000]
[#800000][size 3][font "Comic Sans MS"]
[/font][/size][/#800000]
[#800000][size 3][font "Comic Sans MS"]The Ogden office phone number is 801-399-8300 if you want to contact them about where your nearest office might be to your address.[/font][/size][/#800000]
[#800000][size 3][font "Comic Sans MS"]
[/font][/size][/#800000]
[#800000][size 3][font "Comic Sans MS"]You don't need an appointment to get your canning device checked; just drop it off at the office.[/font][/size][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3] A day or more later, they will call you when it is ready for you to come get it.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks Bob that is something I had never considered, do you know if they need the little rocker valve on the lid to do the check or just the gage on the lid?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I plan to take the complete cooker - pot, lid, and lid weight. You can call the number I listed to find out for sure.
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
OK, thanks Bob.
[signature]
How does the fish taste once canned and what kind of fish do you can?

Do you have a specific recipe you use?
[signature]
[quote Koko21]How does the fish taste once canned and what kind of fish do you can?

Do you have a specific recipe you use?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I mostly can trout and salmon, but did grayling in Alaska. They are delicious and are as good or better than store bought canned salmon. The nice thing is you can add spices to your product to suit your taste requirements such as Catalina dressing (1 Tbsp per pint jar) or Creole spice such as Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning or Zatarains Pre-Seasoned Crab and Shrimp Boil (1-3 tsp per pint).[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]And the real beauty of canning fish is that the high temperatures associated with pressure canning COMPLETELY crystallizes any bones left in the meat. I always remove rib bones when filleting but never remove any 'y' bones. You won't be able to tell they are there. [cool][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]My favorite way to prepare trout/salmon is the same way I do canned tuna fish; mix in some mayo and some finely diced onion and celery. Then make a sandwich or use with your favorite crackers. It's a HUGE success at parties. Come to the Flotilla this year and find out for yourself. [Smile][/size][/#800000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]

[#800000][size 3][font "Comic Sans MS"]I just noticed you posted your comments at 3:17 AM[/font][/size][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]. That's insane! [Wink][/size][/font][/#800000]

[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah