Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CJ reports ?
Hey guys. I just got back from a deployment so I haven't been able to keep up with the fish this spring and the water temps was curious as to what depths the crappie are at and if the bass are on the banks yet ? Thanks for the help I'm getting the boat gassed up and new line one the rods today can't wait for the first trip of the year !!
[signature]
there are millions of crappie in the narrows!!!!!! just got back from a 3 day trip. there's almost that many boats also!!! most are starting at the balls and spread out to the east. don't fish beyond the stained water, the number of fish drop to almost nonexistent 3/4 ways down the narrows towards cottonwoods. the smaller fish are suspended 5'-30' FOW, the bigger fished seemed to be below them. majority of the crappie caught were 6-8", but if you got below the bait balls you could manage some larger. most boats were anchored and casting out. we surge trolled through the schools and did great. had occasional nice perch doing the same. you need a boat, they haven't moved shallow yet.
[signature]
I’ll second that post. We were there last Saturday along with the rest of southern Idaho. Boats were anchored pretty tightly together, but don’t think you need to do that, you can pretty much find fish all throughout the narrows, with the exception of where the stained water begins. My point being you don’t have to combat fish if you don’t want to.

We caught a few nice fish, but mostly the 6-8 inch variety mentioned. We would get into spurts of bigger fish as we moved around, but nothing consistent. Chartreuse was the color we had the most success with, but when you are on them I’m not sure it matters.

Only caught one nice bass, but we weren’t targeting them. Guys were picking them up casting to the bank with crank baits.

Good luck!
[signature]