Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oneida 4/20/19
Finally made it to oneida for my first trip ever. We were able to catch three small mouth bass on black and brown jigs. Missed one other bite. It was fun but the road sure was dusty.
[signature]
Good report.
My sons and I went there on Wednesday the 17th and it was tough fishing, but we did manage to catch around a dozen smallies and a couple of decent trout. The lake looked like chocolate milk and the river wasn't much better. We brought home 8 smallies between 11-14" for dinner and tossed the others and also kept a 14" rainbow and a 16" brown to eat as well.
The bass were caught on 1/16 and 1/8 ounce jig heads with black shad gulp minnows tipped with worm occasionally and it had to be fished SLOW. It was almost impossible to keep from snagging because of how slow we had to fish it, so we eventually went to using slip bobbers and started catching fish, but it was a tough start. We were there from 12:30 until 4:00. It was a beautiful day though and the fishing will get better as the water clears up.

Mike
[signature]
Did you catch the smallies in really shallow? We caught ours right next to the bank and yes we snagged up a lot in the rocks. What depth did you have your slip bobbers set? Were you on the bank or in a boat? We were in a boat and fished the shorelines around the end of the dam. Where the trout in deeper water?
[signature]
The trout came from the river down by the BLM campgraound and the smallmouth were fairly shallow....10 feet or sometimes less. We used slip bobber rigs to be able to get deep enough. Best depth was about 8 feet deep for us. Same general area that you caught yours.

Mike
[signature]
Thanks! Were you fishing from shore or boat?
[signature]
From shore. Didn't know what to expect towing the boat in this early. Hopefully they blade the road soon, it was pretty bumpy. I'm guessing I'll start hitting it with the boat pretty heavy about mid-May.

Mike
[signature]
Thanks for the great report.
[signature]