Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost creek
Fished LC reservoir today and it was really slow. I tried every bugger, chironomid, San Juan and nymph I had.I fished out of my boat with motor and hooked/landed only 1 small planter all day. Pumped his belly and had small daphnia and a few midge larva. Water temp was 52 and water clarity was much better than 2 weeks ago. Only saw a few other shore fisherman land a fish and there were a lot of them. Not sure why it wasn’t better as I was marking fish all day, chironomids were hatching and barometer was stable.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. It looks like the reservoir is almost full.

You would think with the water being that warm that the fish would be more active. I have had a lot of slow days early in the year. With all the runoff coming in the reservoir you might see the water temperature go back down too.

It seems like it takes the fish awhile to wake up and start looking for food.[Wink]
[signature]
Chironomids can drive you crazy on reservoirs, especially ones with high, seasonal fluctuations in water levels. I have trouble locating where they are actually emerging from. Most of the chironomid-caught fish I get seem to be in areas close to shore where the prevailing winds are collecting the pupae as they near the surface.

I have yet to find any consistency (area wise) on reservoirs where I can rely on a deep bite of chironomids year to year. Strawberry and Little Dell are pretty steady for me... LC is hit/miss on chironomids for me... I find em, but its usually too late as the zipping swallows tip me off. Next season they seem to be in a different spot.

You're right on the money diet-wise though... chironomids and daphnia. The attached pics were in the throat of a 20" rainbow from Lost Creek last spring.
[signature]
That’s a lot of daphnia and chironomid pupae needed to sustain a 20 inch bow. Do you ever do well with blobs or fabs, given all the daphnia in the water? I tried a green blob for a little while with no such luck. Maybe it was too big or wrong color.
[signature]
[quote chuckbigflies]

That’s a lot of daphnia and chironomid pupae needed to sustain a 20 inch bow.

[/quote]

Think of it like us eating popcorn... eat a couple kernals and nothing... but eat a whole bag, every day, and you'll see the weight gain! [Wink]

[quote chuckbigflies]

Do you ever do well with blobs or fabs, given all the daphnia in the water?

[/quote]

I tried blobs for the first time week before last and nothing. Not even a tap. It was just a bad day all around though, so I'll be giving them another shot.
[signature]