Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ThunderJet Boats
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Just wondering how many Utah BFT Members besides me own ThunderJet Boats. Mines a 185 Explorer with a Merc 150 (Max hp).
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Don't make me jealous I envy you I want one
but would want a 200 HP
[signature]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]The 18 ft boats are maxed out at 150. You'd need to go to a Luxor or an off-shore boat to get a 200 or bigger. $$$$[/#][/font][/size]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I parked by one once Bob.
[signature]
Often looked and dreamed. I'm driving a 16 foot Lund right now...

How do you like yours? All positive reviews or any negatives you have found? Just curious
[signature]
They look like the ultimate fishing boat. I upgraded to a Lund. My family wasn’t ready to go that hardcore fishing. My analogy is that Thunderjets are the Mack truck of boats. I’m sure it’s terrific at places like the Gorge and Strawberry.
[signature]
Looks as good as ever!

I had a few minutes to add more information about my Thunderjet, Reelfast. Its an Alexis classic 2003, 22Ft by 8 ft.
With a Marine Power 6000 Vortec with port fuel injection Rated at 385 HP with a Hamlton 212 Jet Drive. It has a 80 gallon fuel tank. A typical trip to Willard will take 6-8 gallons of fuel. We are from Idaho and spend time on the Snake River. I have not had a chance to run a rapids with it but it has seen plenty of rough water riding out wind and storms. It has a TR gold auto pilot to run the kicker. I have the planer board tower, 2 cannon downriggers. A Humminbird side imaging, A Raymarine Dragonfly sonar. Its been a great boat. Thunder Jets are a life time boat. These boats last 30+ years. I have no regrets about owning it. I would consider configurations when you buy. But if your family is committed to a life time of quality fishing, boat camping, cruising and yes it does a good job pulling wake boards you couldn't go wrong having one. I would set down with an owner when you buy and consider what they say so you get the set up that suits you best.
[signature]
We use ours everywhere! Pineview, Willard, east canyon, rockport, jordanelle, hyrum, deer creek, strawberry, gorge. We don't have a thunder jet but close enough...weldcraft maverick 240. Love it for trolling and jigging!
[signature]
[quote reelfast]Looks as good as ever![/quote][size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Amen to that Brother! [cool] [/#][/font][/size]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[quote Koko21]Often looked and dreamed. I'm driving a 16 foot Lund right now...

How do you like yours? All positive reviews or any negatives you have found? Just curious[/quote][size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I can honestly say that after using it for 2 full seasons, I love it. The only thing I wish I had gotten when I ordered it is the hard top instead of the soft top. It's kind of a PITA to put it up and take it down for every trip. It is not sturdy enough to leave up during highway cruising at 70 mph. [cool] [/#][/font][/size]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
We will own a dedicated fishing boat with welded hull and heated cabin one day, but with kids and a wife who like to do more than fish I'll have to settle for our Lund Tyee for a bit longer. I drool every time we camp at Lucerne and see all of the welded boats and chat with their owners.
[signature]
I have a 20' Columbia that I bought used from an owner in Everette WA. Its not a Thunderjet but its comparable. Built in Clarkston WA at Renaissance Marine who also builds the Duckworth along with a couple of other popular styles. Its a 2007 that I bought from an private owner. It came with an Yamaha F150 main and Yamaha T9.9 high thrust kicker mounted on an offshore bracket. I looked at several aluminum fishing boats of this style with Hewescraft being my favorite. The gleam of my eye was a hard top but those styles don't last long on the market unless you order or buy new. Sometimes one can change out certain things about a boat when the potential arises, BLINDED THOUGHTS. The more you keep thinking of addons the higher the price.
[signature]
Not a ThunderJet but we spent some of kids inheritance and got another Lund. 1900 Tyee (Chief) and we love it. For us even from way back in the day...Lund’s are an awesome fishing boat. We’ve had several and no issues except wanting a bigger one.

All do-dads bow mount fish finders and soon to be ops checking down riggers are perfect.

I’m sure the same with a ThunderJet. Kinda like vehicles but for us Lunds are the boat.
[signature]
Bob,
My new workboat is a Thunderjet. Its a 22' Yukon with the hard top. It has the 6.2L 400hp engine with a Hamilton 212 drive. Now that I've had it for a year I can give you an evaluation. Its wonderful. I find that I'm pretty amazed at the quality of the boat overall. Runs perfectly. The Hamilton 212 is not even comparable to the Hamilton 773 I had on the old boat. The 6.2 has unbelievable power. I love that I got the trim tabs when I have a full load. If you're around Bear Lake, let me know and I'll give you a tour of the boat. I'm so impressed that I'd buy one for myself if I was looking for a new boat. However, I'll stick with my 1750 Lund Tyee.
[signature]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Obviously, the state has more money than we do Scott. [Wink][/#][/font][/size]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah