Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not Secure
I’m seeing not secure on this site from my IPhone 7. Is this an issue???
[signature]
Mine says the same thing
[signature]
The Russians did it!
[signature]
Sounds like a dissonance reaction to your harmonically acclimated hammer knobs.

Or it's due to this website not having the most up to date security features.
[signature]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I get the same thing on my PC Kim. I don't think it's an issue as long as you don't post any sensitive information about yourself.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][inline "BFT Security.jpg"]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Well of all the social media sites I frequent this is the only site that’s not secure. Interesting the mods haven’t said anything to include the head administrator regarding the site being unsecured and if security certificates are expired would be nice to have a Mod or administrator say so.
[signature]
Just waiting on a reply Kim, sent a PM to the owner as soon as I saw your post, nothing yet but I tend to agree with Bob, in what he said. I'll reply as soon as I find out something. I've been seeing that same thing for a month or so but I know they have been working on the site during that month, so I wasn't worried.
[signature]
Apologies- I am Sending this message to the tech guys now. I will advise once i hear what the issue is.
[signature]
Thanks and even though a fishing site anything ‘not secure’ one never knows how the onion layers can be peeled back on member privacy in today’s hacking info. Looking forward to seeing outcome on this posted.
[signature]
I spent a chunk of my career in IT security. Apple — or more accurately, their Safari browser — is just letting you know that the traffic to this site is not encrypted. It never has been, and is no more or less secure than it’s ever been.

If you visit the site from a computer browser you’ll notice it doesn’t have the lock.

The risk is that under specific circumstances someone could potentially “see” your password to this site. Maybe they could then access the super premium board and get all the really good tips. There are plenty of security bugs in sites that don’t display a warning message.

As one who has worked many years in security, this bothers me not one bit. We don’t put in credit cards, we don’t post our health info, and while I’ve spent my share of ca$h on fishing gear, I don’t actually do my banking here. Yes, probably the admins should enable TLS so we don’t see the message. But that’s just me.
[signature]
After checking a bunch of sites, I see this is pretty common, like this one from Navionics:
http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boa...7CyvFv_jeT
I'm assuming it would change if you logged in to buy something.
You are correct in that BFT has never been a secure site and from time to time someone will hack into an account and do something like make a post or use a moderator function to delete a post of something like that but most people that care to do that, aren't really interested in fishing reports they just want to cause problems or test out their hacking skills.
I have a question, is this "Not secure" label something new? I've never seen it before.
[signature]
The “Not Secure” notice in the browsers is happening because updated versions of the browsers are trying to make sites that don’t use encryption more obvious. Google, makers of Chrome, have the dominant browser-share and they want to pressure web site admins to use encryption whether they need it or not. So they start making their browsers show this Not Secure tag, and the site users then push the admins to add TLS security to their site to make the unsettling message go away. The other browsers, such as Safari or Firefox, don’t want to be left behind, so they follow Google’s lead.

It’s a good thing. Unfortunately it puts sites like bigfishtackle.com in a position where they will have to spend more money on resources, because adding the security the browsers want will take more hardware to handle the same load.

And unfortunately it still won’t prevent many of the password-stealing hacks that you describe.
[signature]
OK, thanks for the info, from the sounds of it, BFT is right where you described. It is such an old site, I'm not sure the owner is going to spend the money for such an expensive upgrade, with little to no benefit. Not sure how true it is but the Tech folks are saying it could take as long as two weeks to do the upgrade[:/].
[signature]
Thank you on your insightful info as an individual in IT security. It is still a bit suspect as how far back can a hacker peel back to get information?

Unfortunately a whole new chapter one lives in.
[signature]