Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crawfish trapping questions
Hello,

So, I have two questions about crawfish trapping. I already know a lot about it, but there are two problems I'm facing that I need some help with.

The first problem is my trap. I have a spot that I go crawfish trapping and five minutes after I put the Trap n, 10 to 20 crawfish come around the Trap. There are so many crawfish, that whenever one tries to go in, they fight. Sometimes, they go in, sometimes they try to go in and can't. I don't know if there's a problem with my trap or not, or if I need more patience.

I'm attaching pictures of my trap in the water with crawfish around it, and how big the Crawfish normally get in that area.

My second question is relatively simple. I have had a crawfish trap stolen when I left it overnight once. I don't want it to happen again, so I'm trying to find out a way to set my crawfish trap somewhere and make sure it doesn't get stolen. Any ideas about doing this?

Just so you know, the regulations state that crawfish traps have to be checked every 48 hours.

Any help for both of these questions will be appreciated.

Jared
[signature]
What do you use for bait? Looks like a good setup, might just have to have a little more patience. As far as leaving it out over night, I'd find a place out of the way to set it. Sad people can't be trusted anymore.
[signature]
I use a half open can of tuna as bait. I just use the can opener, open it halfway, then stick it in the Trap, then put the trap in the water.

You may be right, it might take more patience.

As for leaving it out, I don't think I'll do that anymore. I don't want to risk losing another $20 trap.

You actually just gave me an idea. I'm going to go out there with my trap, and I'm going to bring my waders with me. While the Trap is in the water, I'll use my waders and net to to get some more crawfish! I'll do it away from the trap, of course.

I'm trying to get 59 more crawfish in order to make a crawfish linguine. Wish me luck! I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Jared
[signature]
That sounds like a great idea. Don't blame you for not wanting to lose another trap. Good luck.
[signature]
4 so far. 2 in the trap, 2 in the net.

Jared
[signature]
Well your well on your way to your goal.
[signature]
We do about the same and overnight is usually best. Fish carcasses or chicken. we usually have a boat so use a float on the rope. Lost pots too.
When we want to go covert we'll tie the rope to a submerged branch and remember where. A little flag helps. If there aren't shore lurkers we'll stake the rope to shore too with a little rock cairn. Use sinking ropes.
I haven't seen a crawdad ring but crab rings are basically a sinking net. Crabs walk on easily and get pulled up quickly.
[signature]
10. 4 in the trap, 4 in the net, and two a guy gave me that he didn't want.
[signature]
Nice
[signature]
I'm no expert but the trap you are using is a minnow trap with small entry holes that are difficult for crawfish to enter. A crawfish trap has a sloping wide entry making it easier for them to enter. I have attached a picture of a crawfish trap.
[signature]
Jared, you do have a minnow trap. You can use wire cutters or even dykes to cut three cuts down the small part of cone and widen the hole for the bigger crawdads. Then tighten it back up for minnows. I have never done that good leaving them all night. They seem to find the way back out eventually. Minnows or crawdads. A real crawdad trap would not allow them to get out. I check every hour for better results than all night.
[signature]
Well, I didn't realize I bought the wrong trap! Well, I'll get another one, I'll make sure it's a crawfish trap this time. Or, I can take your advice and make the holes bigger. I'll figure it out.

Thanks so much,

Jared
[signature]
Make your traps and don't worry if you lose one here or there. Pillow traps are cheap and easy to make and very effective. The commercial guys run them down south. You can make them as simple or complex as you want. This video will give you the basic idea.
[url "https://youtu.be/RhWc01P0698"]https://youtu.be/RhWc01P0698[/url]
[signature]