Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twin Lakes
Decided4 to give up on Ririe for a bit and headed south. Went to Twin Lakes for some crappie and blue gill. The bite is just starting to catch on but when it does, it's going to be hot. Ended up with 10 decent crappie and 5 nice gills. I also got 1 - large mouth about 18, 1 about 16 and a whole bunch from 8 to 12.

I didn't know Twin had carp in it, but, to my surprise in the last 4 years they have made it into the lake. That's how long its been since I've been down. The ones I saw were cruising the trees/willows and I would estimate that they are 30+ inches and have to be 15+ pounds and more likely closer to 20. I was shocked.

Heading to Glendale in the morning. The boat dock is unusable as the end that is supposed to be on land is about 6ft out and under water. I need to contact F&G to see who is responsible for maintaining this ramp and get it fixed so people can use it. handicap don't stand a chance the way it is now.

$20 bucks to launch but they will inspect your boat there, Glendale, you have to go to Franklin and back and it's $20 just to have someone say yes you have a sticker and are inspected.
[signature]
In 2015 I bought a spear cuz I was going to get carp out of twin lakes. So they've been there longer than that.

They started charging and I think that year was the year I fished it. I need to give it another shot.
[signature]
I fished Glendale today and OMG, the bite is on and the females are guarding their nests. Pretty aggressive. I filled my cooler about 3/4 full of crappie and only 3 blue gills. Only got 1 rainbow. I caught 42 crappie besides the gills. Nice size to them too. I don't know how many crappie and gills I threw back. The Crappie are really maintaining themselves there and I think in another year, they will average around 12 to 13" easy. Had a blast until the thunder/lightning chased me off after lunch.

The boat dock at Glendale is also in the water so you have to wade out to it to even use it. I will be calling F&G in the morning to see what needs to be done. If F&G isn't maintaining the docks any more since the Canal companies started charging, the canal companies need to get on the ball and get some things squared away for what we have to pay to use the water and access "our" fish that F&G has politely kept stocking in there.

I forgot to mention, Twin puts a chain and padlock across the ramp after 7 pm and doesn't unlock it until 7 am. Glendale is open all the time so you can launch and when you get back in, make sure you have been checked at Franklin and pay the $20 fee as the folks will be there looking when you get back in.

Have fun and enjoy the trip.

Forgot to mention, caught a ton of large mouth too. Every size you can imagine.
[signature]
Wow, that's decent haul of crappie and gills, how long were they?
[signature]
Fish and game has nothing to do with the ramps or docks .
[signature]
The crappie were right around 9 to 10 with most around 10. the few gills I got were right at 7

At one time both places Twin and Glendale were both designated Sportsman's Access points and they did maintain the facilities in cooperation with the County. The original application and designation for at least Glendale was way back in the early 2000 or late 1990's. I haven't paid much attention to this lately but, in 2016 and 2017 I attended several meetings in Franklin County on this issue of the mussel etc and talked with the State legislator for the area and also F&G and I was pretty well up on what was happening and the issues, but, after not getting anywhere with the public pushing for better cooperation on this and also F&G not getting anywhere with it, I dropped out and just stopped going.

I haven't fished down there since 2015 due to the charges, but, I gave in this year because there are very few places with a great pan fishery that you can catch a mess of fish and enjoy it also.

Enjoy if you go and be safe.
[signature]
is there any motor restrictions on twin or Glendale? if so, can you launch a large boat with big motor but only use the electric trolling motor while of the lake?
[signature]
Its been 3 yrs since I fished Glendale. Where in Franklin do you go to pay the fee?
[signature]
no motor size restrictions on twin or Glendale that I remember, but you cant have boats with ballasts in them. You pay the actual fee to launch at both places right at the reservoirs not where the State inspects your boat. There are shacks manned by people that will check you in and take your money. If you look up Franklin County Reservoir Alliance on Facebook, they have the restrictions posted there and I believe there is also a number to call for Twin lakes but not sure about Glendale.

I have a 85 HP motor on my boat and the only thing is both reservoirs can get crowded so courtesy is the first thing to keep in mind. Foster reservoir, just before Glendale is no motors except trolling motors can be used there.

Consolidated Canal Company manages Glendale and a couple other reservoirs and Twin Lakes Canal Company manages Twin. You can always look up those numbers and call them to get information too or the Soil and Water Conservation District in Preston also has information they can give you as they work hand in hand with the canal companies.

Good luck and be safe
[signature]