Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Boise area. Where to fish?
Hello fellow anglers,

I am new to the Boise area and I was hoping that some of you could help me and my wife out as to some of the nearby areas (within a 30-45 mile radius) that are good places to fish from the shore as we do not have a boat. Would also like to know what is being caught this time of year (June-July) and what is being used with success to land them.

I appreciate any good locations and the amenities that are there even though no amenities are fine as well. We also like to pop the EZ-up and fish in the middle of nowhere too!

The Chuckster
[signature]
Welcome to the site Chuckster. I'm not from your side of the state, so I won't be able to tell you where to go. However I do know there is excellent fishing near you. Tell us what kind of fish you want to catch the most. There is Salmon, trout, Stealhead, catfish, crappie, yellow perch, small mouth and large mouth Bass. There is river and lake fishing, and good small community ponds stocked with fish.
[signature]
Always fun learning a new area. Just start exploring. Snake River and impoundments for warm water species. Boise River and impoundments for cold water species.
Two easy ones to get you going. 1) Celebration Park on the Snake for bass and catfish. Anywhere is fine but I like to hike up river. 2) Arrowrock Reservoir for trout. Find a nice spot on the beach and enjoy the day. Try Lucky Peak on your way. Have fun and just take your poles for a drive and see what you find.

Rod
[signature]
I know a lot of people drive out to magic reservoir from Boise for trout and perch.
[signature]
Thanks for the welcome, fast-Randy.
[signature]
Hi Rod! We were at Celebration Park last weekend actually but didn’t have poles and tackle as we were there to just explore and look around. We definitely plan to go back and fish the banks. Which way do you head from there? Do you take the dirt road at the bridge and head towards Walters Ferry or do you go into the park and head west?

Chuck
[signature]
Thanks, meancuz.
[signature]
Chuck, Glad to hear your already out exploring. I tend to go upriver(east) more but the fishing is the about same either direction. It might actually be a little better going down but I like the walk going up. There's also a little lake back in there called Halverson. It's got bass and bluegill in it. The dirt road going west towards Walters Ferry can get a little rough at times so make sure you got some clearance on your vehicle. Oh and make sure you know what poison ivy looks like. The entire Snake River in this part of the state has great catfish and bass fishing. Google maps if your friend for locating access points. Have fun!

Rod
[signature]
The fishing planner on Idaho Fish and Game is a good resource also, can search for water body, fish type, county, I use it alot, trying to figure out where to go next.
[signature]
Thanks for the tip, Rod. I'll try that next.

Chuck
[signature]
That sounds like a good resource and I'll check it out!

Chuck
[signature]