Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sawtooth NRA
I will be making a trip up to Sawtooth NRA at the end of the month. We will be staying in a campground along the wood river. What will I be expecting fishing wise? Any suggestions on where to go? Never been there before. Thanks!
[signature]
Wood River is a classic western trout river. Just got back from there and water is very high for this time of year but it is running clear.
I am mostly familiar with it upstream from SNRA headquarters although there is plenty of access downstream from there all the way into Hailey. Much of that is managed differently and you would have a better chance at bigger fish through those areas downstream.
Upstream of Baker Creek a few miles where the river crosses the hiway again it is more like small stream fishing with decent access from there up to Galena. If you don't mind beating willows there are great holes all up and down. Especially from Wood River Campground all the way up. Very wadable especially in a month and the water is always cold.
Used to be brook trout in there but I haven't caught one in many, many, years. I imagine they are still in there but count on rainbows. Flies, lures, worms, eggs, etc. all will do the trick. Downstream sections are flies and/or lures only so watch your regs. Upper stretches are great if you got little kids.
Take a soak in the Easley pool.
If you going on the other side of Galena there is some lake fishing and some excellent stream fishing. Have fun and good luck. Send me a pm if you are after more specifics.
[signature]
Thanks for the info, this will help out a lot.
[signature]
Here are some helpful maps showing fishing access points.

https://silver-creek.com/river-access-maps/
[signature]