Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crappie at Glendale
I'm headed up to Glendale (SE Idaho) saturday. I've always done nicely with the bass and trout, but the crappie have always been quite elusive to me. Does anyone have any tip/ideas where I might find them there? Email or PM or whatever. Thanks a million
[signature]
If you really want to catch a crappie in Glendale plan on putting in a lot of hours on the ice. I haven't heard of anyone catching very many crappie out of Glendale in recent years. If you really want to catch a crappie you are better off fishing some of the reservoirs along the Snake River west of Boise or buying a Utah fishing license.
I would recomend fishing one of the other resevoirs in the area for trout, perch or bluegills if you just want to catch some fish through the ice.
[signature]
Yeah, well for the report on Glendale...With a combo of rain and rising water, we couldn't get out on the ice. We had a 7' 2x4 and I was reaching as far as I could out there with it, and all it was was slush. I have no clue if the ice was even safe out farther. Oh well, I guess this means ice out is even closer!!!!
[signature]
how low is the lake? I haven't been up there in 2 years but and going to try and fish the torne this spring with the cache vally bass club out of logan.
[signature]
Caddyfly,
Thanks for the report.

Nomoose,
I don't know what the current water level is but I would guess that it is 5 to 10 feet below the high water mark. Last May it was full (or at least very close to full). Over the last few years Glendale has been very low after the irrigation season is over. It hasn't been low enough to cause major fish die offs but it still isn't good for the fishery. With only slightly below average snow pack in the mountains to the east of Glendale I don't think it should have any problem filling up this year before it is drained again for irrigation.
[signature]
Well,

As far as the crappie go. There are some nice slabs in the lake. It takes a long time to catch them with the high water. Early in the year they get way up in the willows. They are hard to get. When I was up there this winter I caught a trout. I cleaned it and it was chuck full of crappie minnows. My brother had the same thing. That means that there will be some good slab fishing in the next couple of years. I've heard reports of crappies making it down to foster from the little canal that comes from Glendale. I have caught some really nice bass on foster in recent years. I'm excited for ice off.

flyfisher
[signature]
Has anybody heard of any updates of the crappies here? I'm not sure if I should hit Glendale, or just go up to the Narrows.
[signature]
I haven't heard anything about the crappie in Glendale recently. I did stop by there yesterday for about 5 minutes. It was only a couple feet from being full and the water temp by the dam was 53 degrees.
[signature]