Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Fossil
Hello,

So, I wanted to show the fisherman here something. I was in Kemmerer, Wyoming, and I found a fish fossil. It looks like a 33,000,000 year old relative to modern day crappie. It looks very similar!

It's about 1 foot long from head to tail.

I thought it would catch everyones interest. Imagine being alive 33,000,000 years ago and catching one of these!

Its amazing!

On the same fishing note, I was out recently and I hooked a 10 lb catfish. I lost it due to my line breaking. It put up quite a fight though!

Jared
[signature]
I would love to find something like that. Thanks for posting it. I would be putting something like that in a display case and up on the wall.
[signature]
[#0000FF] [/#0000FF][#0000FF][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=fish_digger"]fish_digger[/url] is a member on the Utah board who used to run a commercial fish fossil business with fossils from that area. He might be able to help you either with info or with an actual fossil.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I will have to send him a message. Thanks.
[signature]
fishdig.com.

This is the place I went to. They have a lot of fish fossils, good prices, and it's very fun! It's in Kemmerer Wyoming. I came home with 63 specimens. I hope this helps!

Jared
[signature]
Very cool! I would like to see more pics of the specimens if you have them able to post!
[signature]
From smallest to biggest, I have Knightia Eocaena, Diplomystus Dentatus, Mioplosus Labracoides, and Phareodus Encaustus in the last picture.

It amazes me how the fish of today are so different from the fish 33 million years ago! Nature's gone a long way!

Mioplosus looks kinda like a northern pike in my opinion. Phareodus looks like a large carnivorous crappie without the spines!

Knightia and Diplomystus look like a herring, to be honest.

It's cool!

Jared
[signature]
My friend is a partner of fishdig. com. It has only recently opened to the public and they are very liberal with what you get to keep. Here are their prices:

2019 PRICING
8 Hour - $120
4 Hour Dig - $85
1 Hour Dig - $35
Children 6-14 Half Price with Paying Adult
Children under 6 Free with Paying Adult
10% discount on groups with 5 paying adults or more
Call or email for info 801-836-7269

Three years ago he found the complet fossil of a three toed horse at the site. You may also find crabs, mammals, and even crockodile is possible.
Here is a photo of the horse fossil that I took while at his shop in Pleasant Grove.

[inline "Horse fossil at fishdig quarry.JPG"]
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Here are a few specimens that I have in my basement display and a chart of what may be found.

[inline "Fossil Fish Display.JPG"][inline Knightia.JPG][inline Priscacara.JPG][inline "Size Referrence.JPG"][inline "Fish of Green River Formation.JPG"]
[signature]
[quote BURLEY]Here are a few specimens that I have in my basement display and a chart of what may be found.

[/quote]

Wow, you have a nice collection there!

Jared
[signature]
Spectacular! Thank you for sharing!
[signature]
Those are very cool as well! What a great hobby and passion!

I'm amazed!
[signature]
You're welcome. Happy to share the pics.
[signature]
I took my kids up to Kemmerer a few years ago to dig for those and they still talk about it. We found a whole box full of those Crappie. Lots and lots of fun to dig for those.
[signature]