Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod anchors
My new boat has just two, oddly positioned, rod holders. I intend to add holders on the gunwales amidships as soon as I can. Meanwhile, though, I need some way of securing loose rods so they don't go flying over the side when a big old cat puts the bite on them. I can think of three options: jam them in some way on chairs,etc.; put tethers on; anchor with something heavy on the butts. Of course I can always hold one, but if I lay it down when I get one on the other rod and then get a double the loose rod will likely go over the side. Any ideas or insights?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Why not install all the rod holders that are needed and then use them? Any decent rod holder should be more than adequate to handle the largest catfish in Utah.
[signature]
It's always good to have a tether handy. I often fish from shore and use some paracord to a handy branch. I like to cast and retrieve with the rod I'm mostly holding and bait and wait for the rod I mostly ignore.
[signature]
Can't get it done by tomorrow morning. You might notice that I said I would add them as soon as I can.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

When I was bank fishing last year I would drive a 12" spike into the rocky ground and tether my poles with some handy lightweight dog leashes. It was awkward to handle when I got a fish but it worked. This year I have utilized big flat rocks placed on the butts. It works fine as I can quickly lift the edge of the rock and pull the rod out from under it, but it beats the heck out of the soft butt material; doesn't seem to hurt the one that is wrapped with paracord, though. Now I need to adapt the ideas for use on my boat for a couple of trips. I do have some paracord and can make up a couple of tethers anyway. I just thought that someone might have an idea that I don't. Wouldn't be hard to do [:/].
[signature]

I don't stay put at shore, so I just tie to what's handy when using the second rod. I tend to make everything athletic. When I shore fish, I often fish a couple miles of shore. I use expensive rods and reels, so perhaps I should have some quick to deploy rod holder to keep reels out of the sand or prevent rods from falling onto rocks. I broke out an aluminum oxide insert in a rod guide, so I don't want to do that again on other rods.

Ronald Smile
Hey Craig you said there are two oddly located holders already on the boat, if they are like mine, they aren’t very hard to move. Just takes a screw driver and drill. I know it leaves screw holes, but it’s better to move them where they are useful and patch holes than having useless stuff cluttering up your boat. Just a thought. Good luck. Jeff
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 6]OR[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 6][size 3]You could just fish ONE pole and hold it. [Wink][/size]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I tether the rods on my kayak. I zip tie a ring to the rod and use a leash with a small carabiner or clip that's easy to quickly remove. Observe:

[Image: T6YYcNil.jpg]
[signature]
I use tethers as well. It is a long story, but they give me peace of mind.
[signature]
Sheesh - Just leave the bail open or loosen the drag. Problem solved. BTW - I often fish for catfish with my bail open.
[signature]
I have a 2007 Tracker V-17, looks very similar to yours. If you have the handles on the sides for the rear passengers to hold on to, just drop the handle of the rod down through them on either side and they work great as a pole holder.
[signature]
Excellent idea. I know there is a handle on at least one side so I'll check it out. Thanks.
[signature]

Good ideas, thanks. We'll have to try those.
[signature]