Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 days on the Bear
Made a fast trip up to BRBR Friday after work. Mostly a recon mission. Saw that the water seems to be up. Mostly just the opening and closing some of the control gates, but main body of the water seemed a bit higher.

Saturday, wife and I took boat to the river. We didn't boat anything worth bragging about, but she made first catch, a 5.5 " Baby Cat, and I made second catch, one about 10 inches. She then out-fished me as usual and totaled 5 small Cats and 1 carp. That carp was just in time to replenish our cut bait bucket. I got one more small cat, and that was it for the day.

Wife had some personal errands she wanted to do today, Sunday. So I headed back to the river without boat. Ran into John at the first bridge, then went our separate ways. I made a stop at 6 different spots and spent about 45 minutes to an hour at each spot. Was on my way back out and had 2 chunks of cut carp left, so stopped at one last spot. Holders in the ground, hooks baited, lines in the water, rods in the holders, sit in truck away from the horse flies, wasps, and hornets. Kind of the last repeat of the whole day, with one exception. One rod went BENDO with line heading down river and rod bent almost double ! Well, no mono on the line today, main line 50 lb. braid, leader 30 lb. braid, 6/0 Octopus Hook, all knots freshly retied this morning, let the fish run and gradually lifted pole, slowed down drag a bit with hand over spool. WOW !!! BIG head shake, and sharp left turn toward the south bank of the river. Is it even remotely possible I finally hooked up a big Bear River 34" Cat ....?

Well, possible, maybe,............. Got this bad attitude cat to the landing net, got him up the bank about 5 feet from the edge......... pop.......hook came flying out of his mouth. It had been a good hook thru the corner of his mouth, but as soon as there was the slightest slack, he spit it out . Like he had practiced that maneuver many times..........[crazy]
This time it didn't work...........got him up to the truck, did the CPR thing as well as got his weight.
Sure wish the wife had been with me and this one had hit her pole. She could have used the 3" bump, but this 28" bad boy wouldn't do my score any good. So released to maybe pack on a few more inches for next year........[Wink]

[fishon]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Nice fish. Keep at it, this cooler weather is going to get them going.
[signature]
That story really got my blood pumping. Figured you might have tied into Nessy. Great kitty.
[signature]
Way to go Forest, glad you got another good one. Congrats Jeff
[signature]
nice one Forest. Readers had nothing but little guys. 18 to 24 inch. I had cuaght one of my 32 inchers in the last year so had high hopes. Wasted most of the day there. moved up to Whistlers canal. another angler had the hole I like to fish so I tried just on the south side of him next to the no fihing beond this point. Nothing there not even the little guys. Tummy started to rumble so I called it a day around noon 30.

Now on Satuerday I did find one 27.5 inch in the O line canal.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
John, those are all some good looking Cats. Maybe not big enough for a contest bump, but sure better than a skunk [Wink]

Wife and I are planning to take probably our last trip to Utah Lake this weekend. Go early Saturday, stay the night and come back Sunday evening.

Going to Legends for dinner Sat. nite for my birthday. It's just across the freeway from our hotel and has great food, and live band on the weekend.

Taking Monday the 23rd off work, might get back up to the river if the weather allows.

Have a good week. Maybe this unsettled weather the next few days will stir up some of the bigger Cats.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool