Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ratfish caught in 2,600 FOW
[inline ratfish.jpg]
Saw this on the news this morning, can't say I've even seen a fish like it.
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/fish-resemblin...19608.html
[signature]
That is impressive. The ugliest fish I ever caught was a devil fish. I can't imagine how heavy a reel it would take to hold over 2,600 feet of line.
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl]I can't imagine how heavy a reel it would take to hold over 2,600 feet of line.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Exactly. What kind of reel would hold that much line? Looking at some of the Penn reels, I see that some of them can hold 3,600 YARDS [/size][/#800000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3](10,800 FEET) [/size][/#800000][/font]of line. WOW! [/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[#0000FF]With the availability of electric power reels...with huge capacity spools...more and more anglers are fishing deep. Swordfish are a common target off Florida...in over 1500 feet of water. And there are quite a few highly desirable deep water rockfish that can be caught at those great depths.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]In addition to reels with built-in electric winch motors you can also find add-on kits to "upgrade" many standard reels to optional electric power.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Seems like that would take a lot of the fun out of it. But, then again, reeling up over 2000 feet of line with a heavy sinker and a big fish doesn't really sound like much fun either.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
And don't forget that it takes more than 2,600 feet of line to get down to that depth, because the currents put a lot of bow in the line. Figure at least 3,000 feet of heavy line out. And that much line weighs several pounds on its own.

Decades ago, I went on an overnight Gulf snapper boat. Fishing in 300+ feet of water. They had electric reels and after one or two reel ins, I was damn glad of it.
[signature]
"They had electric reels and after one or two reel ins, I was [#FF0000]damn[/#FF0000] glad of it."

[#0000FF]I know you meant to say "reely" glad.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
They usually are using very large electric reels when fishing very deep like that for species like black cod or swordfish.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
A few years ago I was with a team from Hill that went down to Kelly AFB in Texas to assist in the work load transition to Hill. One weekend we went down to Port Aransas and chartered a night fishing trip out in the Gulf, 4 hr. ride out 4 hrs fishing and then 4 hr. return trip. We were fishing for bottom fish and they were using electric reels, the water wasn't very deep and the fish weren't that big, I thought it was pretty boring, but it was something different that we had never done before.
[signature]