Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordenelle changing
Looked up into the mountains to see if the color has started. Yes a little red. But mostly all I saw was construction. ..
You had better look next time you drive by because it will never look like a mountain again. It will be covered with roof tops and roads.
I hate the way the ski business is controlling the cottonwoods and the forest service is giving away our multi use lands. Soon you will be able to hop across Jordenelle onthe boats.
I can see it being worst that Pineview. In the name in development.
[signature]
Then you will love the rumor that they are trying to put in another small ski resort in the little valley southeast of the mayflower exit along with all of the building of condos and houses.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
That's all private land not much we can do. But our national forest is another deal.
Im hoping the state of Utah won't give all the fishing away to boating only lakes !
[signature]
A couple of things, first, that land in the Mayflower area has been slated for development for 30 years, the type of development that is taking place.
Second, it is private property and selling for millions of dollars per lot and the homes that will be built there are even more costly than the land.
Third, these developments create jobs, good jobs, jobs that pay living wages not only to the workers on the structures and infrastructure but to the many companies that supply those developments with concrete, steel, lumber, granite, carpet, finish woods and landscaping.
Third, this will be the location of an armed forces hotel that will be open to the heros that keep America free and offer up the possibility of losing their lives in doing so and risk leaving their families without them.
Forth, these homeowners will also be using local businesses like shuttle drivers (like myself) caterers, restaurants, maintenance companies, and suppliers for water, sewer and heat while only being occupied a few months a year and paying full property and school taxes.
Last, they are ski homes, not fishing and boating homes. Any boating will be done in rental units that are already being offered by the Jordanelle concessionaires. If there is an increase in boating activity it will be caused by the good wages the workers building those homes use to buy nice boats and trucks, both of which will be taxed and pump up the local economy.
Yes, Jordanelle is changing, developments like Victory Ranch have locked up miles of the Provo to public access, development below and looking down on the dam have increased dramatically in the past few years as have housing starts in Heber and Midway as well as Promentory, Tollgate and Wanship/Coleville?Peoa and what we used to think of as rural villages.
This is no different than the build out of Draper, Herriman, Bountiful, Centerville and all the way from Perry to Santaquin and Toole.
Just the way it is. This is the economy we all need in order to live the good lives people are risking theirs to get to.
[signature]
I hear your words, my concern is managing the water resource for everyone. I don't think the state is doing enough to control the wild boaters.
I said it was private land and they have the right to build. Its up to the state to control the waters.
[signature]
I hear you but with the popularity of boating in general, I mean who doesn't like being on a lake in a boat, the pressure will increase on our limited water surfaces.
Jordanelle is close to millions of people and connected to them by easy to pull on super highways. Perfect for day tripping.
Strawberry is farther and requires a longer harder pull to get to but the fishing is much better, it is bigger and has fewer boaters that are not interested in fishing or considerate of fishers. After that it's all the way to Bear Lake or Flaming gorge to get to a clean freshwater lake to enjoy our boats.
Is the state doing enough? With the limited amount of water they have to work with I think they are doing as well as can be expected.
I just came back from vacationing in upstate New York where there is seemingly endless choices of lakes to choose to boat on, but we live in Utah and don't have that many choices.
We do have better skiing though, much better.
[signature]
I have had many boat trips to Jordenelle and willard and strawberry. Not once this year have I seen a state parks patrol on the water or even at the launch.
[signature]
I too am concerned about the lack of "presence" at our lakes, but I think the agencies that are supposed to be enforcing the laws are burdened with meager budgets. Just try saying "Raise taxes" to help the situation and watch the fur fly. Ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[quote doitall5000]I have had many boat trips to Jordenelle and willard and strawberry. Not once this year have I seen a state parks patrol on the water or even at the launch.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I get your point. Yes, they never seem to be around when you really want them to be - like on weekends when the anal openings come out in droves. I too make many trips each season to at least a dozen different reservoirs. Unlike you, I have encountered boat patrols on at least 4 different State Park reservoirs. And just to be clear, Strawberry is NOT a State Park. It, like Flaming Gorge and Pineview are Federal venues and it is highly unlikely that you will ever see a Utah Ranger patrolling them. I have never seen a patrol boat on Strawberry or the Gorge. I don't fish Pineview until ice season and have been checked by COs there a couple of times.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]It would be great if there was a dedicated employee at every State Park to patrol each and every day. The likelihood of that ever happening is NONE. It falls under the category of financial reality.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."