Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berries at the Berry
Made a trip up to Strawberry Saturday 9-21 to observe the Kokanee in their spawning colors at the DNR facility where eggs are taken and fertilized. Both Flaming Gorge & Strawberry are the main suppliers of hatchery raised Kokanee. As soon as the daily quota is filled hatchery personal on hand immediately take the fertilized eggs to be hatched in a controlled environment. There are 6 pens of kokanee with 2 being of males and remaining pens are females. For every 10 females eggs are extracted 2 males are used to fertilize. Unfortunately no egg take was scheduled for this day but will be Monday 9-23. This will more than likely be the last harvest of eggs as the quota for the hatchery has been met. The last pic is from the female pens.
[signature]
Pretty impressive. Unfortunate, they don't have more capacity to harvest more of the eggs and sperm.
[signature]
did you see a 5 pound kokanee that we missed?
Thanks for the pictures
with all the people fishing Strawberry, you wonder how can there be that many left.
a 100 boats on a week end. 30 to 40 on a week day.

on the soldier creek side I have seen them come up from deep water and start making there run.
one time I saw 1000 es going toward aspen grove.
a nother time they were moving to the south side of the main boat ramp, I would think to
spawn in the lake

I think two years ago Curt and I saw them come up in a bay north of the dam.
where they were going to spawn I don't know, but looked like they were moving toward the open lake

I have never seen them come up on the strawberry side
[signature]
Thanks for the report Roger, always great to see
[signature]
did you see a 5 pound kokanee that we missed?

That must be the one I missed also, it was gurgling "NA NA NA NA NA" [bobsuspicious]

I think two years ago Curt and I saw them come up in a bay north of the dam.

I know the place your talking about as both Dan & I were there and found the kokes there also. I remember we bumped into you & Curt if we are talking about the same time [Smile]
[signature]
I checked out Provo River last week only about 6 made it from Jordy.
Guess we caught too many.
[signature]
I was wondering about the spawn in the Provo River. Thanks for the update, albeit a Sad one.[frown]
[signature]
Great video friend. Thanks so much for sharing....
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Nice phots and movies. Guess we will have to work harder and thinning down that population of Kokes in strawberry. [cool].
[signature]