Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Report: Newton, Benson and Hyrum
Cookie and I snuck out for a weekend of romance (at least that is what she thought) I packed the rods and we hit the lakes up near Logan. In truth she knew and was excited about the trip. We attended the University up that way and have a lot of fond memories of time on the lakes from our younger years. (some old photos in the video.)

Had a great time. Caught 5 species. Never got to tangle with a Newton Muskie - but just an excuse to go back and try again.

In general weather was overcast, and cool. We had just come out of a big storm and its was lingering longer than predicted. Fish patterns were off as they had not settled back into a rhythm yet.

Newton - Fished it early Saturday. temps were in the 50s and climbed to mid 60. Little rain and cloudy. Very limited breeze. Bluegill were surfacing along the Dam when we got there, so we obliged them with a fly and bubble set up and had a hoot. The only fly (and I had only one as they were still in my gear from the trip to the Uintas last week) was an elk hair caddis, on a size 14. Bluegill loved it, until the sun stated to break out of the clouds, then they went silent and deep. Caught some real nice bluegill on a worm ans well as some large mouth bass. Tried my 1000 casts for a newton Muskie but they were not interested. I really wanted to get some Crappie but they also were not interested. Tossed a lot of plastic and steel for that Muskie - sure got a workout trying.

Benson (Cutler) - moved over to Benson mid day. temps mid 60. Hit the bridge right off the marina as I wanted to know if I could get Buckwheat and his wheelchair into this area - and yes we can - great spot for disabled. I know some will thumb their nose at this, but we had a riot messing with mud cats all afternoon. The little buggers sucked up worms off the bottom like me on a weekend trip to the Olive Garden. Cookie also got a Channel cat, but only one and no size. Again I had hopes of a Crappie but did not tie up. I did have some good takes on larger cut bait but did not get the hook up - maybe that was my bigger Cat, but likely just a mud cat that could swim good with his mouth full.

Hyrum - finished the evening over at Hyrum right off the dam - mid way. Picked up a bunch of perch just dunking worm the way we did in College - right off the bottom - which was part of this adventure - to recreate some old memories. No take on jigs up in the water column - all take on the bottom. No bows, either which is odd. Hyrum is usually good for a couple when messing with the perch.

It was a great weekend. The video was fun to make with lots of laughs and remembering some good times when our worldly cares seemed so much smaller. This time it was just the fish that seemed smaller.

Hope ya all are having a great fall. I love this time of they year as we get a little space back on the water to play.

Enjoy the video it was one of my favorites to make so far.

https://youtu.be/SUyScF6mbaY
[signature]
Another fun video. Makes me want to get and try for the bluegill and perch with my kids but I’ve never been up there and I’m always hesitant when I’ve never been some place. One day I’ll get the nerve. U til then I guess I’ll just keep watching your videos.
[signature]
Nice report. I suspect it might take a bit more than 1000 casts with a caddis behind a bubble to get a newton tiger - especially by the dam. Of all the tigers up there that I have tangled with (and that is a respectable number) I have never even had any follow any where near the dam much less a tangle with one of those beautiful beasts.

While it is possible to get one anywhere at anytime doing anything, generally speaking a fish like that has a larger menu agenda to fill and is looking in places for a bigger palate payoff for its energy expense. That fish can be fickled and finicky and particularly picky. Also bank fishing for them might not be the best place for your 1000 cast adventure.

You also might consider a bit more robust gear to keep one long enough on the line to see what took all of your hardware.

But thanks for those recent update photos - am going up yonder to get some musky time in the nearest of futures.

By the way - my best tiger fishing happens when it is actually raining.
[signature]
Ya, the ultra light with 4lb would be a bit light for a water wolf.[bobhappy] If a big tank had charged that set up I would have crapped. I did actually have a heavy duty rig along with 20 lbs test and wire leader that I was tossing for the Musky, just did not show it in the video. I tried throwing a big, the biggest I could buy at Sportsman, perch colored spinner bait, a 6" jerk bait in the same color and the biggest meps with a hair tail that Sportsman sold, along with a big swim bait, but wrong colors on it.

But ya, we were off the shore, and limited in the ground we could access, so if I want to get serious about it, I will have to change up the tactics. I really did not expect much from the Musky attempts, not having a boat and not knowing the lake, but I must admit, I was disappointed to not get a Crappie. I was better rigged for that effort tossing a lot of tipped jigs.

Thanks for the advice on the rain. I will watch for a weather day and try again.
[signature]
Just do it. The Aggie icecream store is worth the drive alone for young uns along, if the fishing is scarce.
[signature]
Good write up. Newton is on my mind too. Caught musky a few years ago, while attending usu. Always in the back where the weeds are.
How was the boat launch, enough water for a launch??
[signature]
They were launching safely Saturday. You should be fine.
[signature]
[quote Cowboypirate]

The little buggers sucked up worms off the bottom like me on a weekend trip to the Olive Garden.

[url "https://youtu.be/SUyScF6mbaY[/quote]"][/quote][/url]

As always, enjoyed your video, but when did Olive Garden start serving worms?
[signature]
They (worms) are only for holders of their frequent dinner club cards. But if you slip the waiter a sawbuck they will give ya the members only menu
[signature]
"when did Olive Garden start serving worms?"

[#0000FF]Lotsa pasta. Ever hear of "vermicelli"...little worms?[/#0000FF]
[signature]
The man know his worms.[Smile]

[inline Capture.PNG]
[signature]
I took my boy up to Newton last Thursday, but we got there just as the storm was moving in and it was getting dark fast. I managed 4 species (perch, crappie, bass and bluegill) out of my first 5 fish. My second fish was a 10-11 inch crappie, and I was excited to take some of those home. Unfortunately, that was the big fish of the day.
Everything after the one bluegill were small crappies.
It was fun, but we got there later than I had hoped. We still caught 15 or so between us in an hour and a half, so not fast, but with the bite and the variety, it was plenty fun to break a long spell without fishing.
Next time, I need to get the young kids out there. The banks were mercifully solid as compared to previous years when you had to fight to stay upright on the muddy banks.
The water is much higher than the last couple of years at this time. The boat ramp is visible in CowboyPirate's first attached photo.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Not surprised you are unfamiliar with "little worms". I'm sure you always go for the bigger ones...for the giant fish you catch.[/#0000FF]

[inline "BIG WORM.jpg"]
[signature]
I will have to use thumb screws and electric shock therapy to get the location of your Crappie spot. I have never been on a whole year skunkout of the little beasts but 2019 is shaping up to embarrass me such. I seem to miss the spot at each place I wander this year. As Bugs Bunny always said " I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque." Or maybe just picked dead ones off the shore at Pineview.

I was also surprised at how firm the bank was at Newton. Hyrum, on the other, hand was so slick I went for a couple deep dips, much to my wife's amusement.
[signature]
Calling out what a man knows about the size of worms are fighting words in the sticks I grew up in. Good thing you clarified with an appropriate photo....I think....[cool][Wink]
[signature]
Try Newton in the second and third cove on the west side moving away from the damn. I fished it a few weeks ago and every third or so fish I caught was a crappie. Just a bit of crawler 18" under a float. Bites were light, use a sensitive float. Nothing big, but it might get it knocked off your list
[signature]