Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delayed UL report
Had a 4 day weekend this past Friday thru Monday. Spent Friday getting gear prepped for a 2 day trip to UL / Provo State Park.
Got on the water Saturday about 8 a.m. Motored out the jaws and headed south east. Worked the area from the river outlet to the airport tower out in about 4 to 6 fow. Could see lots of fish marks on the sonar, pretty fair mix of big blips and little blips. We worked one line each on the bottom or just off the bottom with a flig and some crawlers (that's all the bait we had to start with cuz I forgot the carp meat) Had lots of pop and drops, but no hook ups. We were both using medium rods and 6 lb. mono on our 2nd poles. Casting small figs and worms or fligs and Gulp Grubs. By about 9:30 we had boated 4 or 5 white bass. So we put the lite tackle away and put out our 2nd heavy poles with fresh WB. Again, lots of nibbles, but nothing committing to the hooks. We moved around, in toward the weeds and out into water about 8 ft. deep. We drifted in very nice lite breeze, we dragged wb at about .45 to .60 mph. Nada.

Well back in July we done pretty well out around the north side of the Provo jetty, so we headed back out there. Stopped and dropped anchor right smack on one of my older GPS way-points. The bites and nibbles came more often, but still didn't get anything taking the hook till after 1 p.m. Breeze dropped off to just about nil, water looking like brown glass, and of course, the wife gets the first hard positive hit, reel stripping hook up. had been such a quiet day at that point when the reel started singing, it startled us both. OK, Cat # 1 to the net and in the boat. Respectable size but no bumper or monster. Had I been wanting to keep any for eatin later this would have been a perfect one. Healthy, and FAT.
Will need to look at my photos later to remember when and how big, but the wife ended Saturday with a score of 1 WB, and 4 nice Cats. I went back to the marina happy to not be skunked, but soundly out-fished. My score for Saturday, 4 WB, 2 Cats. One being the biggest of the day at 28 inches and 8.6 lbs.

Saturday nite, enjoyed a great dinner in Springville at the Strap Tank. BEST dang Fajitas ever !

Sunday - My birthday - Weather forecast was for sun, clear, warmer than Saturday, but possible wind. It was just about spot on accurate. Got out of the Provo marina again about 8 a.m. Was a bit cooler than forecast. Decided to head directly to the same spot we had the better fishing the day before. Yeh, yeh, I know........fish move. They sure had moved out of that area. The sonar was as blank and empty as if I was sitting in somebody's swimming pool [:/]

About 10 a.m. wind increased to the point of not quite white caps, but rollers that could turn to white caps in any second. Put back into the harbor about 150 yards in past the jaws, water much calmer, dropped the anchor to wait out the blow. Both did one line casting filgs and worms. I picked up 1 white bass. Wind died down to just about nothing and we roamed around that area north of the harbor dike till about 1 p.m. Called it quits and got headed back toward Ogden with a net result of just that one WB for my birthday fishin.....[Wink]
But it was a very enjoyed weekend, and the weather did turn out quite nice.

Just as we were ready to pull out of the Provo marina parking area, had a short meet with another BFT'er. Hookset came up to the truck and introduced himself. Another face to put with a name [Wink]

[Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
It was nice meeting you Tin Can. Glad you got some cats. I did not go after the cats with my injured hand but did catch a small walleye. I let it go and grow.
[signature]