Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cat swivels?
So after three blow outs last nights chasing night kitties, i did some forensics on my gear in the daylight. I noticed on the last cat, Cookie hooked up, that the failure was actually the barrel swivel. Checked the other rods and two of them had the bottom post nearly pulled out. They would have failed on the next hookup.

These are not cheap or small swivels- so maybe a bad batch?

Now to my question. I threw the whole lot out - do you all have a favorite kitty swivel that treats ya right? I got to go shopping cause she already texted me to ask if I had the gear fixed up so we can go right those wrongs tonight.
[signature]
Swivels come in many styles and price ranges. You probably don't need the premium ball-bearing ones. My own two rules:

Never buy the cheapest ones.

Always buy ones rated for double your line's pound test.
[signature]
I buy mine off amazon and with cats they don’t necessarily get spooked with swivel size I get ones rated for 90 lbs I believe they are size 2 but don’t quote me on size but I definitely know they have a breaking strength of 90 lbs. with all the thrashing around they do I’ve had many swivels break. But not one of these yet. They aren’t huge but they aren’t trout swivels.
[signature]
Txs both of ya. I will do some shopping based on that advice. Tonight is turning out much better for Cookie. Got three in so far
[signature]
I like these heavier swivels I got at Cabela’s (see photo). I think they may be Bass Pro Shops swivels with duolock or interlock wires. I don’t like any tackle failing. I use these to connect my various rigs/leaders to the end of my line. And sometimes to attach weights, like on a Santee rig.

Not sure why, but I have recently had many failures of the standard brass sleeve type swivels when pan and trout fishing. The “sleeves” have come loose and slid one way or another, rendering the tackle useless. May use these sturdier wire ones for those lighter fish too.
[signature]

jack of all tackle, master of none
That's the swivel I use for musky and its never broke.
[signature]
Link to those swivels I like. Available in several sizes and brass or black.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/...s?slotId=4
[signature]

jack of all tackle, master of none