Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Bank Tangling with Willard Cats
Cookie and Willard have never gotten along. Its one of the few places I out fish her. But last night she ended her long running skunk (she says of 30 years), not to sure about that, but she does the cooking, so I wont argue.

Where: Willard Bay, North Marina, night fishing off the handicap dock. We wanted to try it out and see how it would work for Buckwheats wheelchair. It will work great.

Conditions: a brisk breeze but not bad inside the harbor. I did not get a temp. Fair amount of surface activity from carp all night as well as some occasional bait fish activity

Gear: We used our big Blue cat rods that we had from our time living in Alabama on a work assignment. A bit overkill but Cookie had three blowups the night before and insisted I gear up for bigger fish. Ran a couple on traditional sliding bait rigs and two on modified Santee rigs. The Santee rigs got by far the most action. Bait was frozen minnows and cut bait. We also used worms but did not get any takes on them.

We threw the bait towards the edge of the vegetation in about 5-8 ft of water, thinking the cats would come up shallow as night came on to chase some grub from the shrubbery. The idea seemed to work as we did not get action on the one I kept out more towards the middle. All the bites on the shallow set rods.

Most of the action was just at sundown, but we had steady action into the night, too.

My favorite part came as we were pulling up to head out. It was pitch dark and I could hear Cookie slow reeling in her rods and what looked like jigging action going on. So I wandered over and asked her what she was doing. As best I can quote her, she said, "Tubedude catches his by dragging floating bait along the bottom, so thats what I am doing". She is a fan of Tubedude and makes sure I read his posts - something about I should try to learn how to fish better....I was going to tell her that this was a bit different than dragging fligs behind a tube, but she then said something following her bait. Sure enough, I turned on my light and shined it out and a real big cat was trailing it like a great white would. She screamed and tried to do the Musky figure 8 at the dock to get him to bite. He followed that around then looked up, and slowly glided away. That was a new one for me but pretty cool.

here is the video

https://youtu.be/NYsfeVCuFlM
[signature]
Congrats Cookie. Can't imagine waiting 30+ yrs
[signature]
[#0000FF]Nice work. Waytago Cookie.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Just how big was that BIG kittie? They do get big in there sometimes. Check out the attachment.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
So Cookie read me the story, while I made an English Muffin. Ya, I can read just fine on my own, but proper attention is required when applying the grape jelly.

I can firmly state the following...

1- I will never get cookie in a float tube at Willard bay now
2- maybe not even a boat
3- and I have to find the homosapien version of channel cat #5. Do you have a web site I can order it from?

I can LESS firmly, also state the following...

1- what was a very big cat we saw, has now grown to an ax handle between the beady eyes in her mind
2- she is surfing Cabelas online looking at saltwater rigs
3- we do not have a trip to either ocean currently planned

Great read Pat. Made our morning.

As for an actual size estimate...in the dark, in the water, I am sure our perception is in question, but it was well past the 30" mark. What struck me most was the head size as it breached for a moment. The best cat, I have caught in Utah was around 14 lbs. This fellow was every bit of that and I think well past it. Reread the part about our perception in the dark and take that with a healthy grain of discernment

But, I bet I am back out there when the weather clears, likely packing rod and reels made for 200lb halibut with whole herring for bait...got to go she says she found what she needs on Cabelas.com...
[signature]
"3- and I have to find the homosapien version of channel cat #5. Do you have a web site I can order it from?"

[#0000FF]Sorry. I just wrote the stuff. Didn't have any part in the chemistry thereof. Been a while since I "lost my hunting license" (married). But, as I seem to recall, most members of the human female gender respond well to the sight and smell of those green pieces of paper we use to buy things...MONEY. I can almost guarantee there is no kind of "smelly jelly" that will work the same way on ladies as the stuff in the story did on the catfish. If'n I knowed how to brew something that would...well, I'd be living on my own private island somewhere and probably not lowering myself to the level of a steenking catfish chaser.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[size 3]"1- what was a very big cat we saw, has now grown to an ax handle between the beady eyes in her mind"[/size]
[size 3]
[/size]
[size 3][#0000FF]Reminds me of that joke about some yankee visiting Texas and listening to the local boys tell fish stories. They kept bragging about "8 inchers" and "10 inchers". When the yankee goober began laughing one of the old boys confronted him about what he thought was so funny. The yankee said he found it funny that these guys thought a fish of only a few inches was big. To which the Texas angler replied "Down here we measure 'em between the eyes."[/#0000FF][/size]
[size 3][#0000FF]
[/#0000FF][/size]
[size 3][#0000FF]Not at all improbable that your escapee cat was 30 inches or better. I caught one near the north marina a couple of years ago that went 29". And there have been reliable reports of other anglers catching cats from Willard in excess of 30".[/#0000FF][/size]
[size 3][#0000FF]
[/#0000FF][/size]
[size 3][#0000FF]For some reason...related to the ecology and the ratio of predators to prey...Willard's cats are getting some size to them again. For quite a few years after the introduction of wipers the kitties had a tough time finding enough groceries and grew more slowly and didn't get as large. With fewer wipers eating the crawdads cats rely on...and more water to keep the rocks covered...for fish and fish food...the cats find it easier to bulk up a bit.[/#0000FF][/size]
[size 3][#0000FF]
[/#0000FF][/size]
[size 3][#0000FF]In the early 1980s...before wipers and shad...there were a lot of cats over 20 pounds caught from Willard. Heard tell of a couple in the 30# range. I personally caught many between 10-15 pounds and a couple that may have been close to 20. Here is a picture of a combined catch my wife and I scored fishing at night in the channel of the south marina. The biggest fish on the rope weighed over 14#. And the first three we caught that night were all close to 10#...and they tore up our heavy bass stringer and got loose. That's why we strung the others on that rope.[/#0000FF][/size]
[size 3][#0000FF][/#0000FF]
[/size]
[#0000FF][inline "CAT STRINGER.JPG"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
How did you fish after dark at Willard Bay without being eaten alive by mosquitoes?
[signature]
The breeze helped. I also rubbed fish blood on Cookie's jacket when she was not looking. Was rather pleasant on my side of the bank. Dont know what all that whimpering was over her way.
[signature]
Nice video.
[signature]