Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blown away in Renegade Bay
"The sea was very Angry my friends"...

Yup, I went out with a friend of mine to fish the Berry. I hadn't been there since last year. We ended up arriving around 8am and headed out to start trolling off Haws Point.

The wind was very mild, with a slight chop on the water. Pleasant morning and only a few boat trailers at the marina.

We zigged and zagged back and forth from Haws Point, heading south towards the Meadows and Renegade Point.

We were trolling at around 1.5mpg and would vary speed from 1.5 to 2mpg to see if it made any difference. Didn't seem to matter what speed we tried, the cuts were pretty random. We were able to hook up with a few cuts along the way down to the Meadows. By about 9am, the wind had picked up. I'd guess around 10+mph..

Anyway, we buzzed over to Renegade point and decided to jig for a while. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, the wind was blowing enough to move our boat at a steady 1mph without using our trolling motor at all.

So, we let the wind blow us North-East and were able to hook up with a few more cuts. After we drifted most of the way through the Meadows, we would use the main motor and buzz quickly back to Renegade Point and then start our drift back again. We saw several schools of fish on the sonar.

Some times, there were dozens of traces showing up at different depths. We'd see them from 30-40ft and then sometimes around 20ft and sometimes one or two a bit shallower. We always caught the fish when our lines were shallow.

My friend had weighted line on one of his poles, but never got a nibble on that one. I started out using two poles, but invariably, I'd get a hit on the pole I WASN'T holding, and by the time I switched poles, the worm was gone...

We were using 3" pearl tube jigs tipped with worms. We discovered that using a half night-crawler wasn't enough. They were greedy fish. They'd bite at a whole night-crawler only.. Anyway, they were quite picky eaters, never taking a big bite, just nibbling and hitting really soft. Sometimes taking 5-6 hits before all the worm was gone.

I had brought some Corn, marinated in minced garlic to see if it would work. It did. Problem was that the fish would nibble off the 3 pieces I had on my hook and it was hard to actually hook one. We were pretty much feeding them.

I went to tipping my tube jig with a night crawler and a piece of corn. That worked pretty well, though I think it would have worked just as well with just the night-crawler.

My friend tried a 4" silver Rapalla for a while, but didn't get anything with it, so he went back to tube jigs and started hooking up the cutts again.

Anyway, we ended up with about 20 fish between us before we called it a day and headed back around 1:30pm. The wind had picked up probably to 15+mph and rocking the boat quite a bit, but not too dangerous yet.

I have an 18 1/2 foot Aluminum boat with 150hp Mercury and an electric trolling motor. The boat did well. I pity anybody in something less than 18ft when the wind was blowing like it was.

So, we met my friend's brother-in-law and his son that night headed out again around 7pm. The wind had died down just before that, so we had a fairly calm time on the water. We started at Haws Point and zig-zag trolled down to that island that's on the west side of the lake on the north end of the meadows, across from the south entrance of the narrows.

The 4 of us did pretty well, probably landing around 15 cuts in a couple hours until it was full-dark. We then headed back to the marina in the dark and camped for the night.

Next morning we got up, had some breakfast and headed out at around 7:20am. Starting again at Haws Point and repeated what we'd done the previous day. Wind picked up pretty heavy around 8:30am, but none of us were seasick, so we kept fishing until around 11am.

We finished up the day catching a few just 100 yards west of Haws point. We'd boat over to the bank and start in 20 ft of water and let the wind drift us North-East. We were catching all our fish on the surface. Even catching them in 80ft of water off Haws Point.

Anyway, a great time was had by all !! We only caught Cutts. Sizes from 15" up to probably 20". Random assortment with most on the small side.

The water was slightly merky, but not enough to cause too much 'salad fish' hookups.

See ya all later...
[signature]
Thanks for the nice big report.

As a guy new to boating I was wondering how you tell wind speed. I mean, how is the water at 10 mph vs. 15? With my 17.5 footer I need to know when it's time to head in.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

When your boat tips over, you've been out too long [Wink]

Actually, I'm just making wild guesses when it comes to actual wind speed. I look at the water and if I see white caps, it's probably getting close to TOO CHOPPY... Sometimes I stay out a bit longer, but after a couple really rocky waves, I like to head in. I usually lean on the cautious side because I don't want to be one of those people that aren't found until days and weeks after their empty boat is found floating on the lake.

There is real danger in staying out in too choppy of water. I wish that they'd say what kind of boat people were in when they report drowned boaters. Were they in a canoe, a kayak, a pontoon boat, or an 18 1/2 foot long Starcraft aluminum boat like mine...

I guess err on the side of caution. If it doesn't feel safe, it probably isn't safe and would be best to head back to shore. Especially when the water's getting colder like it is.

I don't ever wear a life vest, but I probably should. I have them on my boat, both in the bow and under the bench. But if a quick wave hit, I might not be able to grab a life jacket fast enough, let along haul my huge self back into the boat, or swim to shore..

Anyway, if I die fishing, I'll probably have died happy, but I'm not going to intentionally speed up the process [crazy]
[signature]
Thanks for that great report. I'm in Idaho now and haven't been to Strawberry for 12 years. But you described mine and my Friend Kelly's fishing track for October exactly. I love Haws Point and walk across the ice to get there when you can't drive ice fishing. Trolling, We used leaded line and popgear. With a night crawler 2 1/2 to 3 foot behind. We found we had to used a worm threader to get the #2 hook barely sticking out the end of a whole crawler.
[signature]
After a decade fishing, the berry in a 19.5 ft boat, my rule of thumb is fishing in winds in the "teens" gets annoying. I handle the rocking and rolling very well after years of boating but when the forecasted winds are in the "teens," I don't go. For me, it is a long way to go, so I want more than an hour or two of fishing. As the captain of your ship, you make the call when to get off. I error on the side of caution, knowing my boat will not sink to the bottom, but I will!