Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Musky caught - Newton and Benson Report
Buckwheat and his wheelchair joined Cookie and I on another trip to northern Utah to Newton and Benson. Our target was Crappie and to test out a couple locations for wheelchair access.

Temps was a cool mid 40 and climbed to low 50s. Wind was brisk at times. Very limited surface activity at either site. Once again I forgot my water temp gage.

Newton. We took the advice of a number of BFT members and fished the west side second cove in. Was able to drive right into it and get Buckwheats chair around pretty good. Had a school of smallish perch stick with us all morning so we filled the catfish bait bucket for future use. Gear was a worm on the bottom or on small jigs or crappie nibbles. Also picked up bluegill that way. No crappie joined the party - they thumbed their nose at me again. BUT, I did score a Musky on perch swim bait. He wont break any records, but it was cool to say I caught one. I spied with the binocs on other bank tanglers on the east side and saw them pull in some panfish, but could not see what type or gear, same with a few boats out

After the perch slowed down, we grabbed lunch and wandered over to Benson. The marina has great access for disabilities and mud cats are usually always willing to play with a worm on the bottom. It was no exception this go around and Buckwheat was able to drag a number in. I had a big rig out hoping a big cat might wander through but it went untouched as did a ultra light with a crappie set up I had along the weeds.

Got real windy and cold in the afternoon so we wrapped it up

Here is the video link

https://youtu.be/awNZfzA5U3c
[signature]
Looks like a nice, fun day. Congrats on the musky. You really are making a run at catching all the species in one year.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

That’s great you got buckwheat out and enjoy the day some fishing glad it was productive for you.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and sharing the adventure. Glad to see a great day was had on all accounts. Bonus Musky is icing on the cake!
[signature]