Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard, Best Day....................
...... for me this year. Trip to WB #11 this year. And for second trip in a row, I beat out the skunk [sly]

Got ready to launch out of south marina about 8 a.m. Sun just coming up over the east mountain, a bit breezy, air temp was 39. Water temp outside the marina was 56. Only 2 other boats on the water at the same time.

We headed east directly for the feed lot area. Got on to a spot showing heavy fish traffic. Well lots of them going under the boat but not many showing interest in the only bait we had, fresh night-crawlers. So we just relaxed, soaked worms, and I figured it was as good a time as any to re-tie some leaders that we had sacrificed to the river the past few trips.

Of course, about the time I get involved squinting at, holding, and tying some 30 lb. braided leaders, a reel starts singing and the line is heading for Brigham City.
Drag set, lean back, GOTCHA ! Good hook set on better than average Willard Kitty.
CPR.
And about 40 min. later repeat only line heading for the south wall. Another CPR, a bit smaller but not bad.
Twenty- one minutes later, smaller but greedier Cat. Swallowed hook, so photoed, cut line a released quickly.

And that was it for the day. Wife had to carry the skunk home this time, but the day was enjoyed . [Wink]

[fishon]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
It certainly is a pleasant sight to see the water up that high so late in the year.
[signature]
Tin-can I put in at the south marina about nine. CVFisher and I also headed to the feedlot. We didn't have a great day, but not bad. We each caught, kissed on the lips and released six or seven. All were caught drifting Santee rigs or fligs. Bait of choice was marinated perch pieces.
[signature]
Good for you! I've been to Willard twice and I avearaged 1/2 fish per trip. It is hard to leave the lake I know to go up there. Someday, maybe I'll put in some time there.

In the meantime I'm glad you were treated better this time.
[signature]
Larry, were you in your white boat again? An Alumacraft? Have a dog with you? I saw one launching about same time we did, and a second angler walking from his vehicle to join the boat and first angler already on the water at the far east side dock.
That boat, maybe you, was directly out from the feed lot tower and would slow drift back in toward the wall, then start up and motor back out to about where I think it was probably 12 to 15 ft. deep.
I couldn't figure out how they were controlling their drift direction and speed. I didn't see a bow mount, thought maybe a drift sock, or a couple 5 gal. buckets.....[Wink].

My wife didn't get TOTALLY skunked. She had something very heavy on the line, but it could be moved. She was using one of our Cat Poles with 30 lb. braid. I put my fish glove on, pulled the line and she would reel the slack. Finally brought to the boat a large flat piece of old concrete with lots of holes in it. Got it up in the boat, dropped it on the deck and a very small, almost transparent crawdad popped out of one of the holes. [laugh] Didn't think to get a photo. But I weighed that rock, 12.54 lbs. of dead weight.......[sly][sly].
[signature]

Cool
Forrest, that was us. My preferred method on Willard is drift and drag. The only thing I use to control the boat is the motor as a tiller. I do have a drift sock if it's too windy. Yesterday was about right. .4 or. 5 mph is the sweet spot. Cold water has slowed down the kitties a little. Lots of Pop and Drops yesterday.
[signature]
I thought maybe that was you. We sat out in the marina while you were launching. We were waiting out the wind that was a bit stronger when we first got there. Wife was wrapped up in 2 blankets.........[sly]...........need to get her some quilted coveralls. She almost had us go to the dock when she saw you had a dog. She loves, we both love dogs. Used to have a Golden Retriever that went out with me on my first boat.
[signature]

Cool