Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Record Day -- Oct. 5 Strawberry
Yesterday a couple of friends (one travelling all the way from Boston) and I went out on Strawberry. I had advertised that this looked like it was going to be a record breaking fall. The weather was looking favorable, and after my friends had endured a a bad day on the Provo on Friday, I was hopefully to redeem the trip on Saturday. Starting from Renegade, we caught two fish in the first three minutes.

It kept up from there. We had agreed to break out the Little Debbie swiss roles in celebration of 10 fish. It turns out we had them for breakfast. We then set out sights on 50 fish, and reached that mark nearly by mid-day. I

For a while I took out the fly rod and caught a few on streamers, but it seemed like the rate of catching declined a bit. Someone then asked me what my personal best day was -- in all my fishing history -- counting all fish caught in a single boat. For me that number was 74, caught on Roosevelt Lake in Arizona some two decades ago. We decided that the day was a day to go for the records, so we set aside the fly rod and went back to conventional tackle. We hit 75 in another hour and a half celebrated again, but kept catching fish.

By 3:30 we were at 84 fish, and decided we had to get to 100 in our remaining ~2 hours on the water. We then hit a stretch with two doubles and one triple, and had some of the fastest fishing of the day trolling through the afternoon white caps on the Southern side of the lake.

By the time we were within 150 yards of the Renegade boat ramp, we were at 119 and decided we had to get to 120. Someone picked up the fish in the last 75 yards, and I hooked but lost what would have been 121.

I don't know how long yesterday's record will stand for, but I'll probably have eaten many more boxes of swiss roles before surpassing it. Hope everyone else had a great day on the water as well!

By the way mostly fished with rapalas, but probably our tactics are no better than anyone else's. I've tied a rainbow trout sparkle minnow to look like the rapala, but it's tough to beat the original.
[signature]
Gotta love late fall fishing at Strawberry. Hopefully, we are treated well on Tuesday.
[signature]
WOW! Congratulations and good luck with the sore elbows and wrists[Wink] Thanks for share a memorable day!
[signature]
Good job! Gotta love fall days at Strawberry
[signature]