Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confessions of a Convert - bank-tangler that is
I am Yukon the cowboy-pirate and i have been a convert bank-tangler for 1 year now.

I own a boat, but did not use it in 2019.

I had withdrawls when I could not access some key structure or read a graph telling me it looked fishy under me

I cursed when I could not present a bait from shore in a way that I could when afloat.

I daydreamed about what fish were hanging out off that "next" point.

I salivated when I saw or read about my fellow BFT colleagues reeling in whoppers or great catches from thier floating fishing abode.

Yet, I had a ton of fun trying to catch a grand slam of all Utah sport fish this year, all from land.

I did not, nor will I, complete that grand slam in 2019, but I will get very close to twenty differnt species.

But, and I emphasize the "but", I so enjoyed the challenge of doing a grand slam from land, that I think I will get serious about and see if it can actually be done in 2020.

Yes, I am a convert bank-tangler. And, despite my wife's opinion, I may not actually need that intervention.
[signature]
I haven't had my boat out much this year either, I'm suffering unreliable motor issues myself... That and time to go, but I'm not looking to return to my tangling roots, I'll be glad to head back afloat... But congrats on doing the slam alla on shore, that adds a big level of extra difficulty.. Good luck on the finishing... later J
[signature]
[quote Cowboypirate]

I own a boat, but did not use it in 2019.

[/quote]

Why?
[signature]
Well, I planned to, and started, a complete restore on it (the boat) and figured it was an excuse to try the grand slam off the bank this year whilst working on my project. I plan on finishing the restore this winter so I can use it. I have no plans to stop fishing from a floating rig, but the bank tangling challenge has intrigued me. It's hard to catch some of the species from land. Maybe nearly impossible in some cases without cheating and using ice. Which, to stubborn minded folk, who long since lost most thier wits, ( speaking of me here) hate to leave such a challenge undone. Besides figuring out how to catch a koke or burbot from the shore could keep me out of my wife's hair for years. She might actually grant me access to her shoe account to fund that.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Congratulations on your successes...and best wishes for even greater accomplishments in the future. You have challenged yourself...and you don't grow and develop without challenges.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]For what it's worth, we have several members of BFT who never go afloat in any kind of water craft...but probably catch more and bigger fish of many species that hardcore boaters.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Bank tangling and float tubing can be compared to archery hunting as opposed to shooting a firearm. They force you to fish harder and with more finesse and knowledge...and to know more about your quarry and the habitat. In short, it should make you a better fisherman overall...and can definitely be more enjoyable. No gas fumes, no balky motors, no wind waves (or powersquadron waves) dumping you into the water, no monthly payments, no expensive upkeep...should I keep on? Also, when fishing closer to nature you are better able to enjoy your surroundings...as a part of the overall experience.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]A lot to be said in favor of banking.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
You don't need a 12 step program to add another strategy to increase your arsenal of fishing tactics.

I have a boat, a framed pontoon complete with motor and casting deck, a compact frameless pontoon, and a float tube. Yet I still march around with bank fishing gear or waders because it gives me another option and a different level of enjoyment. Additionally there are places not accessible by a watercraft.

It also reduces the amount of logistics involved in a fishing outing. Just drive, and get out with rod and start fishing. As Tubedude pointed out it provides a different perspective and it can help to understand things without the distractions that a watercraft may, by the nature of its complexity, add to your experience.

It also does force you to learn some things if you want to actually catch fish. However, If the catching is not the priority, then not having the complex logistics of a watercraft gives you that much more potential time to marvel and enjoy the company of friends or family, or the experience of just being there.
[signature]
Good comments sometimes a lawn chair on the bank means relax, I've fished with my eyes closed before.

Fishing from my boat costs me more than just gas money. But the grandkids sure love it.
[signature]
I never owned a boat until after I had been here in Utah for 5 years. I fished most of my life from the banks of rivers, lakes, farm ponds, piers, and beach sand surf. I did fish out of a couple larger boats (other peoples) in the Pacific as a kid, a few bass boats in Georgia and Florida, and one very small leaky aluminum boat on Lake Gatun In Panama. I still fish off the banks of the Bear River. BUT.....after having very little success off of banks here when I first arrived, and not being a great fan of fly fishing, and wanting to encourage my kids interest in fishing by helping them to actually catch something, I bought my first boat in 2004. I will admit, it was a steep learning curve for me. Learning to operate a boat in a state where many of the other boaters are as bad or worse than the drivers on the roads, and still get on the fish, and help 3 kids be successful at boating fish. But our catch per trip rate made significant increases, and I was successful in locking in the fishing interest in the kids. I've been fishing from a boat now for over 15 years here in Utah. I continue to learn new tricks and tactics every year. I think had it not been for having a boat and meeting other boat anglers at various venues, I may not have learned about BFT. Many folks fish from the banks, but rarely do I get close enough to other bank tanglers to get to know them.
So, while I have no animosity toward bank fishing, and I still do quite a bit of it (especially during the Catfish Contest) [Wink], I tend to prefer being on the boat for the ease of location changes, the ability to "tote" all my fishing gear to where I want to fish without making several trips on foot (of which I don't have 2 good ones anymore) from vehicle to fishing bank location.
But from the bank or off of a boat, fishing is and will always be my "drug of choice".
[fishin]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool