Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FLIG-onometry
[#0000FF]There are a lot of new fligaholics around here these days. Dang me. I have written several how-to PDFs on making and fishing fligs. Recently I have been getting more interest in folks who want to learn how to make their own fligs...and other bait floats like the Santee rigs.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]In E-chatting with Pisco a few days ago, I had the thought that there might be some interest in having a couple of group get-togethers for a show and tell on working with foam. In years past we had quite a few "jig parties"...where a dozen or so of us would get together to pour and paint jigs...or tie flies...or build rods...or whatever. They were always fun and got a lot of handy tinkerers started on crafting their own stuff.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]If there is any interest, I would be happy to show up with foam, tools and paint to download as much as I think I know. Depending on how many people wanna play, we can either do one gathering in the Salt Lake area...or one in each the north and south. What we will need is a meeting room for a dozen or so people. In the past we have used garages, big kitchens, office conference rooms, warehouse space, etc. And if we can add in a preliminary pot luck meal...or at least heavy snacks...that makes it even nicer. And during the coming foul weather months it helps pass the time.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]In the meantime, here is my latest written output...with some background info on the use of bait floats and fligs...and some of the different options...commercial and custom (self made).
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yes...YES
[signature]
That may be something I’m interested in.
[signature]
If its when I can attend, I'd love to join in... as long as someone with all thumbs is allowed... Appreciate the offer very much, what would you want us to bring? Fly tying vice and tools? Hooks and etc, or will this be more of a show and tell rather than get your hands dirty get together? Thanks Jeff
[signature]
[#0000FF]I'm thinking that if "Foamonomics" turns out like jig making sessions, the first one will largely be me holding forth and going through the motions. The main idea is to acquaint would-be tackle crafters with the materials and tools needed...and the processes to put everything together. Taking notes is encouraged. By the end of the first session you will have a much better feel for whether it is something you want to take on...or that it is nice to know what is involved but more than you care to jump into.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Followup sessions can be a combination of a few new folks seeing everything for the first time and newbie foam shapers actually working on some of their own stuff in a group environment. That is a great way to pick up helpful tricks to improve as you go along...and to share ideas with others.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]For what it's worth, my tackletorium is always open to serious students who desire to learn any aspect of "tacklecraft"...even on a one on one basis if you have time constraints. I have been doing this stuff for a loooooooong time and am semi sorta proficient at most of it. But I would rather do small groups than a whole bunch of private sessions. And if you get a group of like-minded folks together there is usually a symmetry that develops and everybody moves forward more quickly...and it's more fun.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I was reminded a short while back... At least I think I was. I don't always remember. Oh yeah, I was reminded that I ain't gettin' any younger and that I should try to pass on whatever I can before my "expiration date". Okay with me. I am properly grateful for all the help I have been given along the way and I am happy to download to anybody else that can and will use it.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]It is nice to have a bit of manual dexterity and a flair for design and color. But definitely not necessary. Fligs and bait floats are simply something colorful that floats and creates more attention to your bait. My earliest attempts were pretty crude...as are those of a lot of first timers. But fish are pretty democratic for the most part and if you use good bait they are prone to overlook your artistic fumbles. So don't downplay your potential and don't develop any unreal expectations.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yet again you share for free that which you got for free. You have been doing that for a long time my friend. Your tackletorium has seen a lot of traffic covering many different fishing subjects.

Way back when we met at a park for an evening with a number of BFT folks for a fishing 101 tackle and knot tying class. Here is a link for that:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...13;#355813

We had quite a turnout if I recollect correctly. Some of those folks I still fish with.

I would enjoy hearing you rant, rave and ramble on about your extensive knowledge and experience again.

I would also encourage any and all to take advantage of the opportunity - Pat is the man who has forgotten more than most can ever learn.
[signature]
"I would enjoy hearing you rant, rave and ramble on about your extensive knowledge and experience again."

[#0000FF]Thanks, Chuck. Some folks refer to my breadth of knowledge and experience as "vast". Others think it is only "half vast".[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]If you enjoy it you are at least slightly to the left of masochistic.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Ok i give up, forgive my ignorance, i have seen this term Flig floating around on BFT for a while, but have no clue as to what you guys are talking about. If i have to use what intelligence i have left, not saying i had much to start with, i would guess it is a cross between a fly and a jig? was my guess close? or was way off the mark? please enlighten me.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is nice to have a bit of manual dexterity and a flair for design and color.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[/quote]

Well, that leaves me out. Thank goodness it doesn't also require one to be able to carry a tune or I would have another strike against me.
[signature]
Great idea pat, I think maybe sharing some cooking skills would be nice to.
Count me in.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Good guess but not a winner.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Flig is my own cutesy term for "floating jig". These have been around for several decades and are sold commercially in a lot of outlets. When I started making my own...for serious...just thought I would give them something more than a generic name.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]If the perch dieties Smile upon me before any scheduled get-together I might make up some perch chowder. Otherwise...if the attending wimps can handle it...I can make some chicken tortilla soup. Good stuff during the winter. Will relight the pilot light in your heartburn.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Back in the olden days...like the early 1980s...Utah was almost exclusively a trout state. Very few anglers pursued the already plentiful "warm water" species...like bass, walleye and catfish. And forget perch. Them was trash fish. But prior to moving to Utah in the late 70's I had lived and fished in California for a few years and had traveled and fished in other states. Plus, I had worked on fishing boats and had been learned how to cook a wide variety of simple but tasty fish dishes. So I was recruited by Anglers' Inn stores to put on demos for filleting and cooking non-trout species. And due to the high demand for printed recipes I ended up putting out a book..."Fetchin' and Fixin' The Fishes of Utah"...with a bunch of recipes on many species.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF][inline "UTAH BOOK.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I actually read that book and even remember some of the recipes. Bet I could cook up some fish you might like.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
fishnutts, ignorance is easily cured (unlike stupidity which is permanent).

Simply read the excellent writeup - with pictures! - that TD posted above. You'll be completely fligucated.

When you finish that, ask TD for his most excellent treatise on wobble jigs. Those are his two best (IMHO) creations.

For the rest of us, Pat does provide most of his knowledge for free - but he doesn't insist on the free part. That's a hint.
[signature]
Yes it would be great to learn how to make the jigs and also meet people of the board.
If everybody is willing to drive up to the Cache Valley/Paradise my shop/ barn was just completed and will handle the group. House is still under construction so temp power and heat will be used for the gathering if this venue works for most, I’m out of town the 1st 11 days of November and then again the 1st 2 weeks of Dec.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Appreciate your willingness to provide a venue. But I think it might be a bit further than some would like to travel. If we have enough interest in both a north and south session then I suspect that somewhere around Ogden would be more convenient for most potential attendees north of Salt Lake.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I will certainly try to attend, if my lab schedule allows it. Thanks and thanks for the great write-up on bait floats. I always thought it sunk or thunk it sought or something like that[Tongue]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Do you get paid to think...or is that above your pay grade?[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]When/if we set up a get-together for the south area, I am sure we will try to get a consensus vote for the best day and time...for the maximum number of interested parties to attend. Almost impossible to get universal approval whenever two or more people are involved.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]It would be great if you could be a part of it. And your experiences with various types of bait float setups would be valuable to all if you care to share.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
It's a bit above my pay grade, but I'm still hopeful that someday I'll get there[Wink]

I was figuring that the "consensus" thing would likely limit my chance to attend, since my labs go fairly late. I'll do my best!
[signature]
[#0000FF]While we are in the planning stage maybe you can look ahead and see when you have an opening. Or...we can maybe even do a Saturday morning thing when hunting and fishing wind down enough...or the weather is not conducive to outdoor activities. A lot of options.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Also, as we discussed, since you are a bit more advanced than some, you could arrange a personal one-on-one visit for some "Floaties 202" sessions. I am sure that most who attend the first gathering will be a bit further back on the learning curve. They would benefit by your downloads but there are always options for anybody who really wants to learn more .
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
TD
Thought it might be a bit on the northern side but figured I throw it out there and if something else doesn’t come up just let me know.
[signature]