Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DWR changes Bluegill regulations.
Just a heads up.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46658282/dwr...lican-lake
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Can't wait for Pelican to be back to the glory day's.
[signature]
Doubt if you will ever see the Glory days like back in the 70s? I don't see why they just didn't close the lakes to fishing for several years? [:/]
[signature]
[quote PACKFAN]

Doubt if you will ever see the Glory days like back in the 70s?

[/quote]

I don't necessarily disagree or agree, but curious why you feel the way that you do?
[signature]
I think that we will see some great years of fishing as the population rebuilds.

It was the early 80's when we found out about Pelican and had some great times there till they had the bad winter kill. Then when it started coming back in the mid to late 90's we would catch gills out of there that you couldn't wrap your hand around the fish to unhook them. It was like that for a few years before you started to see the size of the fish start to drop off to what it was before they treated it.

I hope that it can get back to the great times that we have had out there over the years and stay that way for many years to come.
[signature]
What would really be nice is if the parasites disappeared with the new fish somehow. Thoughts?
[signature]
I hear ya there.

I think I that the parasites are what started the decline of the fish size out there.

Everybody that I know stopped keeping any fish out of there because they wouldn't eat them anymore. No matter how many times they tell me that they are ok to eat I can't get over seeing those little worms in the meat and I'm to lazy to sit and cut them out. But with them restocking it so fast I would bet that the parasites will remain.

Only time will tell.
[signature]
I started ice fishing pelican when I first got stationed here in the late 70's, I made at least one annual trip down almost every winter after that. I'm talking about not numbers of fish I'm talking about size of the gills really started dropping off, one pound gills up to 1 1/2 were fairly common then. Biggest I had ever seen. If they truly do come back and reach that size that would be something special. Not many people ice fished it back then.
[signature]
I had the privilege of being part of the team of anglers that helped decide on the future of Pelican. We spent a bit of time going over all the options and closing the lake down wasn’t really considered because the problem with the lake had to do with an over population of carp. As you know, carp is nearly impossible to eradicate As such, a decision to use rotenone was decided on and to install an elaborate screening system to prevent carp from entering the lake again.

Currently, visibility is back up to 15’ again, which is what it used to be like. Thousands of 3” bluegill have been released into the lake and pre-spawn bass were also released.

I’m very optimistic for the lakes future and I’m excited for 2021. Fishing should be great!
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
I am excited for the change and hope it does well. But the hard part is the waiting[crazy]
[signature]
[quote mme1]I am excited for the change and hope it does well. But the hard part is the waiting[crazy][/quote]

Or you could wait 20 years like we've had to for Scofield.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{[/green][size 4][green]⦇[/green][/size][blue]°>[/blue]
[signature]