Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo - Nearly Skunked -25 Oct
My Echo report 10/25/2019
I spent 4 hours on Echo this afternoon. I nearly got skunked. Tried for trout and SM bass. Ended up with one 14” rainbow. It was thick and the meet was nice and orange.

Here is how it went. Got on the water at 3:00pm. Several fishing boats trolling and one fellow pontooner jigging for perch. There was lots of green stuff along the shorelines and floating in the water. The water was murky. I trolled several things from 10-20’ down (kokanee killer that Dubob used tipped with magots, dodger with bead and worm, flat-fish). Casted spoons, and a white tube-jig tipped with chub meat. After a couple hours I gave up on trout and went looking for SM bass. Threw ned-rigs and crawler jigs. Nada. I am wondering if they have gone deep now? Most of the boats were off the water by 5pm.

When trolling I was marking fish mostly in the middle of the lake suspended at 20’ and 50’. At one point toward dust I was just dragging my white tube jig tipped with chub at about 1.2 mph while I messed with another rod. That is when the rainbow nailed it. Within the next half hour I got a couple more hits on that jig. I tried actually jigging it often, but that didn’t produce.

I talked with the fellow pontooner. He was able to wrangle in some perch. He was very adept at perch fishing and was not interested in the slimmers like me. He was using a camera, etc. He told me that below 10’ he only had about 2’ of visibility. He also said that he saw a trout that was about 10 lbs follow one of his perch catches right up to the boat.

Well, long story short, I am guessing this lake is doing what is called “turning over” with colder water churning the bottom mass upward. I am no expert on this, but is would explain some of my day other than I am just a very poor fisherman.

The air temp was 55 F and water temp was 51 F on top. Nice sunny day.

I do have some questions for you experts. Do these lakes at this elevation turn over this time of year? If so, how long until the water clears up again? About what time in the spring do these lakes at this elevation turn over?

The rainbow I caught was about 14.5” long and thick with orange meat. I noticed that many rainbows were stocked in Echo in the spring at about 11-12” long. Would this rainbow be one of the spring stock or would it be 1.5 years after last year's stocking?

Thx.
[signature]
Most lakes go thru a turnover in the fall. The air temp is colder then the water temp, then the surface water get colder and will sink. During the turnover period fishing is tough. Once the turnover is done fishing gets better. The water column becomes oxygenated thru out and as the water temp. Turnover usually lasts a few weeks.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hey Trent, I was on Echo early yesterday morning and my experience was dismal too. I was fishing by a little after 8 but only stayed until about 11. Air temp early was 22 degrees and water temp was 49.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I covered a lot of water...from just north of the ramp all the way to the dam...from 10 feet to over 60 feet. I was mainly on a perch search. Didn't find any schools and saw only a few singles or doubles on the bottom. Caught about a half dozen dinks but nothing of any size. Also caught one small smallie.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I was seeing troutlike marks from 12 to 20 feet deep as I motored around looking for perch. So I dragged a spinner while I looked. Got quite a few whacks on the spinner but only had a couple hooked and brought one to the net...a healthy rainbow of about 15 inches. Gave him his early release for good behavior.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Turnover. Typically the point at which lakes turn over is when the surface temperature reaches about 39 degrees. Not there at Echo yet...but it won't be long with the cooler nights forecast next week.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]It was good to share the water with you...even if it was at different times.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hey Pat - Thanks for the Echo report. If you had a difficult day on Echo, I am not feeling as bad about my fishing skills.

When do you think Echo will clear up again?

I never did get an answer on the 15" rainbow. Do you think it was stalked in the spring of 2019 or spring of 2018? I am wondering how fast they typically grow from 12" to 15".

Thx
[signature]
[quote Optimizer]Hey Pat - Thanks for the Echo report. If you had a difficult day on Echo, I am not feeling as bad about my fishing skills. [#0000FF]I strongly believe in the old 90/10 theory...that 90% of the fish are in only 10% of the water. Even with a good boat and good sonar you often have to do some searching if you have not been fishing a lake regularly and have not kept up with the movement patterns.[/#0000FF]

When do you think Echo will clear up again?
[#0000FF]Recent storms probably put some turbidity in the Weber inflow...or wind waves sloshing the exposed mud shorelines. Still settling out. It will definitely get clearer under the ice...when there is no water inflow or wind.[/#0000FF]

I never did get an answer on the 15" rainbow. Do you think it was stalked [#0000FF](stocked)[/#0000FF] in the spring of 2019 or spring of 2018? I am wondering how fast they typically grow from 12" to 15". [#0000FF]Probably this year's spring planting. They grow fast during the summer...and even fairly fast in cooler water as long as they can find some groceries.[/#0000FF]

Thx[/quote]
[signature]