Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Challenge 2019-2020 interest level
Okay this is a check to see if I'm the only crazy ice fishing nut that likes to have a contest to drive my trips to different lakes. Please respond to your interest level in having the contest going this winter... If we get a dozen or so that signs up as will sign up and will participate then we will have the contest... If not, then we may let it take a break... But if you ice fish, this is a great motivator to try different ponds to catch different species... If you're not familiar with the contest there are five different brackets that you compete in with an overall score for the top winner of best score in all brackets. The categories are panfish, trout, bass, predators and everything else.... We take a sort of golf score here where the lowest overall score wins... Your score per category is your placement, so the biggest fish places first and gets a score of 1 point. You add all your category scores to get the overall score... So best possible is a 5.... At this point no one has ever won all five categories so no perfect score yet... But maybe you will be the first to hit a perfect 5... Come join us and have fun hunting the biggest fish through the ice this winter... Later Jeff
[signature]
I'll play. Don't know how often I'll get out, but still would like to do it.
[signature]
Paul be extremely careful with this contest, it is so much fun it becomes an addiction... I think you'll like it, even if you only ice fish occasionally... The price is right, it's free so enter, your biggest sacrifice is printing a label and taking a few pictures... Never know when you'll find the one that takes the category... So far we don't have reining repeat champions in the contest so it's still anyone's contest to win... I love going for all the different types of fish all across the state, last year we fished from Strawberry to the Gorge and lakes across Cache Valley.. Fished on foot, with snowmobiles and even backed my truck down the ramp at Hyrum to put ice gear across the open water and fish after the edges opened up. I almost made a late trip down to Fish Lake, which is a long drive for me... So it is a fun season... Probably hit Henry's and Cascade this winter as part of the ice season, but not part of my entries... I did mention I'm kind of an ice nut right? Later Jeff
[signature]
I'm in!

I need to get a BFT banner.
[signature]
Hey Jeff. Thanks for getting the ball rolling! You know I'm in. This is a fun ADDICTING challenge and a great motivator to get out and fish different waters, some you may otherwise only dream about fishing but don't find the time to make the trip (Flaming Gorge, Fish Lake etc.) I'm looking forward to a great ice fishing season and the Challenge. Ron
[signature]
I'm in! I want to see how many different species I can catch this winter.
[signature]
We will provide a banner for you to print out when we get the rules up and running... Should be soon, we hear rumors of fish being caught on the hard deck already... J
[signature]
Thanks Ron, don't know if everyone knows to give you the credit you deserve on making this a wonderful contest... Don't you just love how you have to use the fine finesse to catch the panfish and the heavy yanks to set a hook on a laker that's 80' down... You definitely have to develop your skills to do this contest... I'm still trying to figure out how to pull a channel cat through the ice for the contest.. Maybe this year... Later Jeff
[signature]
Hey Chris this is a great motivator for the species hunt, one of the best parts is everyone is pretty carefree about taking others with them on the ice, so if you need tips or someone to go with I imagine others will be open to you joining them on some of the trips... That's also a fun part of the contest because you can take more on the ice with you than you can in a boat... unless it's this early ice then it's good to let everyone have their space... Later Jeff
[signature]
Put me down as a definite maybe.
[signature]
I am in! Gotta defend the biggest fish title from last season!
[signature]
Has to be a good way to learn the local lakes so what the heck I’m in. Jeff if you want a running partner to Henry’s sometime let me know, fished it about 10 years ago and had a blast. I see that it’s capped as of today with the -18 this am.
Alan
[signature]
Very good Kent, we'll put you down and you can deal with the maybe.... I won't be checking back to see who said they were going to participate and then didn't... I'm going off preseason intentions here today... One other thing, we leave the sign up open, but you need to sign up prior to catching the big fish, not fair to let someone not sign up and catch a monster and want to post it to win if they didn't take a little forethought to just reply and say sign me up... Hope that seems fair... Thanks Jeff
[signature]
That's right I still owe you a little something from last year right? I'm going to be going through my BFT stuff soon so I'll see what I can get headed your direction... Sorry I'm a space case... Jeff
[signature]
I'm in!
[signature]
Hey Alan I suspect that Henry deal will start working on me pretty bad... I may try a day trip up there before too long... I'll give you a heads up and see if you're interested... I like to see at least 4" on Henrys before I take off that direction and would prefer that on the main lake not just a protected cove... maybe the 8th or 9th unless it warms up and pushes the ice off... it may happen this year since it's still so early... but yes the contest is great to work different lakes... I start high mountain lakes early, then panfish and then into the big fish lakes later... It's really fun... Later Jeff
[signature]
All right, glad to have you back again this year... Good luck and stay safe... Good chance we'll end up on the same pond same day this year, be fun to visit for a bit during one of those trips... Hope to see ya on the hard deck... Later Jeff
[signature]
Sounds good, day trip or..... works [cool]
[signature]
This is great! It looks like this years' Ice Fishing Challenge is a go! I'll get the rules, banner, examples etc. posted to the "Utah Contests" board. LET'S DO THIS!
[signature]
It's posted! Everyone check out the rules and info. on the Utah Contests board and let me know if you have questions.
[signature]