Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua roads?
Anybody know the road situation around Mantua this year? Is the project that messed everything up last year done? How's the parking situation?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The project is completed and the road is open around the south side of the lake. I would assume that the parking restriction signs near the walk on location are still in place and that you can park anywhere on that road outside those signs.
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
It seems to be a Utah trait to drop medial t's. Natives pronounce Layton as "Lay-un" for example, with a slight hesitation in the middle where the hard stop "t" ought to be. Not being native-born, I pronounce the "t" in Mantua.
[signature]
I love the linguistical things you bring up; you're quite the wordsmith.

When I first read about the lake I thought it was pronounced man two ay or mantu uh. For those who don't know (and I've heard some of you) it is pronounced locally man uh way or man away. Speaking of which, how does anybody think is the politest way to correct someone when they are getting something wrong? I usually am too embarrassed to say anything or don't want to offend by mentioning it. But then I realized that I wouldn't want to go on saying something wrong, embarrassing myself even more. For example, I recently learned that the name of the island that I had been calling Saint Tropez is acually pronounced san tropay. What a dork.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

If you want to play with some, which I often do. It is spelled, Man- to- a
[signature]
I suffer from three handicaps: I was an English Lit major, I was a professional writer and editor, and I was broadcast voice trained. So I tend to spot and hear things that most folks don't.

So I'm a Grammar Cop and a Dialect Dictator (a term I just made up). There are polite ways to offer corrections or suggestions, but they are without exception taken with umbrage. The way people have always done things is in their mind the "right" way and all authorities be damned.

And now back to our regular programming...
[signature]
Ever heard of ' Doo chez knee'? (Duchesne) Had a co worker saying it wrong every time we drove through.
[signature]
I have a father in law that is terrible at correcting people. He is right in his corrections but it gets annoying that he does it so much. He corrects my kids noon stop and they are 7 years old or have speech problems and he will grill them. I understand to a point but sometimes I'm like come on man give it a test. He gave up on me lol
[signature]
I grew up in Brigham City and dated a girl from Mantua and buddied around with a few of the local guys from there. That was about 50 years ago. Back then, it was pronounced Man-a-way. Don't know if with all the outside folks moving in and the growth of the area if the pronunciation has evolved or remained the same. To me it still is, and always will be, Man-a-way.

Another fun one is the highway canyon leading up to Mantua. It seems to be know and called by many as Sardine Canyon. If you look on a map, it is actually Box Elder Canyon. Sardine Canyon starts at the top of the grade (summit) and runs east thru the mountains to Paradise. It was an old Pony Express road. Sardine canyon hasn't been a main travel route for well over 100 years, but to many, the name incorrectly is used. Now, I haven't lived up in that area for over 45 years and perhaps the name was changed on the maps to coincide with what most think the canyon name is, but as a youth growing up, it was always shown on the maps as Box Elder Canyon and the stream that runs down it was known as Box Elder Creek. We fished it all summer long as kids. Just a trivia.

Another trivia is west of Brigham where the Golden Spike was driven. That has been corrected now, but for years it was taught that the Golden Spike was driven at Promontory Point. It was actually driven at Promontory Summit. Promontory Point is South of the summit a few miles where the Promontory Mountains comes to a point (ends) at the Great Salt Lake.
[signature]
Looked up the "correct" pronunciation on the internet. They say man CHEW uh. Go figure.
[signature]

Okay who knows how the native Americans pronounced it. It’s supposed to be from their language? But I’ve got a lifetime of manaway habit to break. Later Jeff
[signature]
No Jeff, it's actually Italian. This brought the research geek out in me and her's what I found:

Mantua
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Country Italy
Region Lombardy
Province Mantua (MN)

Mantua (/ˈmæntjuə/; Italian: Mantova [ˈmantova] (About this soundlisten); Lombard and Latin: Mantua) is a city and comune in Lombardy, Italy, and capital of the province of the same name.

It was the place where Romeo was banished after he killed Tybalt in Romeo and Juliet. It is a center of culture and the arts, especially opera; you know, just like the one here in Utah [Wink]. Actually there is a town of the same name in Ohio, very near Kirtland, one of the places along the Mormon migration to the west and I suspect that's how it came here.

Now, if you told some local guy that you went fishing at MANchewuh he'd look at you like you're crazy. And you would be wrong. The goal of communication is to make yourself understood and everyone in Utah probably knows it as Manaway. So you are right, for here. Try using that pronunciation in Italy and their thought would probably be, "Stupid American" and you would be wrong there. Isn't language fun?
[signature]