Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Fishing is Decent for Macks
My wife and Made it up to BL a couple weeks ago. Stayed for 10 days and spent a few of them in the camper avoiding wind, waves and freezing cold. But when we were out we did pretty good. Honestly can't remember how many we caught all together, because we did very good while on the water. We had the magic lure and worked the fish when we found them. Our intent was to fish for Mack's am heading back Monday on Vets days. I will be going for both Cutt's and Mack's both this time.
For those who want venture up there and brave the elements, the fishing is peaking right now. FYI

A FEW PICTURES ATTACHED. DID NOT GET PHOTOS OF THEM ALL. FISH RANGED FROM 6 TO 18 LBS ON OUR TRIP.
[signature]
Great pictures! I'm glad you had a good time, at least part of the time. It looks like the weather was great in some of those pictures.
[signature]
Yep Dallas, its time for us to hit the Big Blue. As seniors we have the toys that bring out the kid in us too & a see food diet. [cool] I will be bringing us some pulled pork BBQ sliders for lunch and looking fwd to your breakfast burritos. I'll see you at the ramp Vets Day. We have a few winter days that we can also get in as long as weather is good, little to no wind, and no ice cap.
[signature]
Great fish, looks like staying up there in your camper really paid off. Do you mind sharing what that magic lure was, that helped you catch so many nice fish? Where you mainly fishing the rock pile and Gus Rich point or did you try the Cisco beach area too?
[signature]
We stayed North and East of the pile. Went and looked at the Cisco area and north on the east side and decided to stay working the pile area, Fished mostly in a half moon shape pattern north and east of the pile as I previously stated. Most fish caught in the evening because we were sleeping in every day except one. Wife trip. [sly]

Quite a few fish caught close to dark. We returned to the dock in the dark many times. last boat out. Not many people will fish that late but I have found that evening works great for the Mack's this time of the year.

For the Lure, Go to Yakima bait web site, go to flat fish and look up the double trouble. I had one for that trip. I now own 7 in 2 sizes. It wont be long and the white colored lures will start working there, especially early in the morning at first light.

The fish may have moved around by now. My guess is that they should be closer to or on the pile or in shallower water for another couple of weeks. (ESPECIALLY IN THE EVENING) Just a guess. If you head up. Have fun. [fishon][Smile]
[signature]
Thanks for the info, is this the one you are talking about:
https://store.yakimabait.com/product.php...301&page=1
Since I have to drive so far, I rarely stay that late but it sounds like that was one of the reasons for your success.
I never realized that company owned all those lures.
[signature]
Go here for a look. Then you have to order them through Cabellas. They are in stock at the big cabellas down in the SLC area. They don't have them up here, so I order them.

[signature]
That link didn't work right. Right section. Open the selection and go to double trouble chuartruse Orange DTC I think
[signature]
So was it this one:
Thanks for the info.
[signature]
Mine did not work either but it was a FLATFISH - M2-T60 in the double trouble chartreuse Orange DTCO pattern. The lure has two orange dots on top and chartreuse sides, orange bottom, does that sound right?
[signature]
Thats it. A little different appearance in person but that IS the one. Make sure you know the depth of the fish. Don't just drag them 10 of 15 ft off the bottom. I am constantly adjusting the depth of the downrigger weight. I try to put the lure in their face. [sly] I keep the lure about 125 ft behind the boat so I am sure to have time to make the adjustment. It makes a difference. I watched 7 other boats in my area. only one small one brought in 1 while we were catching fish. You have to work them. Speed with that lure, 1.2 to 1.5. I do the opposite of the speedy trolling boats. I don't recommend going over 1.7 unless you running rapallas, or something like that. etc.. (THIS IS FOR the MACKS)

Fishing the Cutts is different. This approach is just for the Macks at BL
[signature]
Thanks much Dallas, that's a lot of good info, thanks for sharing it. We usually troll at that speed, rarely go above 1.7, can't say I've gone as slow as 1.2, unless the wind is blowing but good to know the slower speed works. So you ordered the lures from Cabela's, did you get them delivered to your house or did you go down to the store and pick them up?
[signature]
Send them to the store and 2&1/2 to 3 week wait. Mailed direct to you, close to 5 days till delivery. Maybe less, Cost $5 flat for 1 or 10 lures.
[signature]
Ok, thanks for the info.
[signature]
Veterans Day was a bust. The Mack's have scattered. Very few in the Rock Pile area and the cutt's were moving in but not active. 5 boats on the water all together and we didn't see any fish caught. Weather was ok and the morning rocky went away. It was a good day on the water and eating in the boat was excellent as we prepare for good fishing or good eating. For the most part, the Mack's have moved back to deep water. Wait for just before the Cisco run and it will be fun again.
[signature]
Thanks for the update, glad I decide not to go up there now. Glad you and Roger at least had some good eats, even if the fish did not want to play.
[signature]
(11-08-2019, 07:10 PM)MRDSenior Wrote: My wife and Made it up to BL a couple weeks ago.  Stayed for 10 days and spent a few of them in the camper avoiding wind, waves and freezing cold.  But when we were out we did pretty good.  Honestly can't remember how many we caught all together, because we did very good while on the water.  We had the magic lure and worked the fish when we found them.  Our intent was to fish for Mack's am heading back Monday on Vets days.  I  will be going for both Cutt's and Mack's both this time.
For those who want venture up there and brave the elements, the fishing is peaking right now.  FYI

A FEW PICTURES ATTACHED.  DID NOT GET PHOTOS OF THEM ALL.  FISH RANGED FROM 6 TO 18 LBS ON OUR TRIP.
[signature]

Just wondering as a recent transplant from WA, do the cutts hang close to the bank here or do they like to go deep? Back in Wa they love to hug the bank in both lakes and rivers. What is the average size for cutties around here?