Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can browns be caught in lakes?
After turnover they can be shallow or deep since water is re oxygenated from top to bottom. So they have the entire water column to play in. This plus window of opportunity is shorter in fall makes catching them a little harder. Some will also stay in the reservoir during the spawn, but like Tube Dude says it doesn't take long for them to move back down after spawning.
[signature]
Back to the orange color. Besides mimicking roe don't forget crawfish. I use some 4 inch orange streamers to target large browns that I assume look like crayfish to them. However when I forgot to bring other streamers, it has also caught brown trout in streams without crawfish and when there isn't roe from the spawn.
[signature]
Yes, browns can be caught in lakes. And, yes some browns do spawn in lakes: "Brown trout prefer to spawn in fast-water sections of streams with gravel substrates (see Spawning habitat section). Lake and river-dwelling brown trout will usually move upstream into tributaries to spawn (Simpson and Wallace 1982, Elliott 1994). However, if no suitable tributaries are available, brown trout in lakes can spawn along rocky shores (Elliott 1994)."
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC...209386.pdf

In fact, I can think of a couple places in Utah and one in southwest Wyoming where brown trout do just that--spawn within the lake. However, the success of these spawns is most likely very limited or not successful at all.

The best--as far as numbers--brown trout fishing in a lake in Utah that I can think of would be in Mill Meadow Reservoir; however, the browns do spawn within the Fremont as it enters the reservoir. In a reservoir like Jordanelle, I would suspect that the large majority of brown trout enter the Provo to spawn.
[signature]
I started injecting Gulp liquid into my marshmallows when fishing a worm and marshmallow and magically big browns started biting them.

My go to rig when I want to catch 16"+ rainbows for the smoker is a slip sinker rig with a baitholder hook in about a 2/0 with a half a nightcrawler threaded on and a garlic marshmallow on the end, super simple basics, I know. That rig will catch rainbows and DC and Jordy all day, but one day I put some Gulp! in my worm blower and stuck it in the worm and the marshmallow and gave them 2-3 little infusions. THAT started catching me big browns with the rainbows. It's always bigger browns too. I think if I was trolling I'd put an inch or so of worm on and give it a couple tiny squeezes of gulp.

No joke, every lake brown I've caught with this method was at least 16".
[signature]
i just caught a 19'' brown the other day up at rockport, shore fishing the dam using a white tube jig, vertically jigging it back in. i catch a lot of browns at rockport from shore using this method.
[signature]
Thanks for all the comments everyone, I think the next time I'm out chasing browns will be on the hard deck. I think timing played a lot into out lack of success but I've got some new things to try, for my next time out chasing them.
[signature]