Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ogden canyon
If you’re thinking of targeting browns in the canyon section of the Ogden you may want to reconsider. It’s only flowing at around 12 Cfs right now which feels like it’s only a trickle in that river. This makes the browns super spooky and some of the larger ones are holding in only about 3 inches of water is all. I’m thinking the Weber may be a better option nearby.
[signature]
Not sure what the flow is on the Weber ,but driving past the other day, its running as low as I have seen it.
[signature]
Trout still have to eat and the water is cold enough not to stress them. I'd say it's a good time for sight fishing browns there. Fishing upstream is a must but that is generally the most productive method on Utah's relatively small waters anyway. You will quickly learn what spooks fish to refine your approach. Sure you're going to spook some no matter what. However if you're stealthy enough you should be able to catch quite a few. When I fish Beaver Dam Wash in extreme SW Utah the water flow is typically 4-5 cfs and crystal clear. Fortunately there is little brush or trees so it's easy to make long cast to fish I spot upstream.
[signature]
I have had a ton of success in the past during the skinny-water winter months on the Ogden, swinging streamers...
[signature]