Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jaw Jacker Question
I have been following the posts the last few years about the use of the jaw jackers. My question is, and mind you, I am not criticizing, just a "curious mind" wants to know. What is the fun of using one? If I were into catching lots of fish and all I wanted to do was reel them in, then I can see using one. For me, holding onto my pole, watching them on my vex and trying to entice them into biting is the fun of the fish. Kind of like hunting, it is not the kill that is satisfying to me, it is the challenge of trying to outsmart the quarry. Is it just about numbers or the quality and company of the outting? What are your reasons for owning and using one?
[signature]
I kind of agree with you. I just use mine as my second pole usually set off away from me. I use my main rod the way you described. Usually an unbaited marabou jig.
[signature]
I actually don't know of anyone that only uses tip-ups or jaw jackers or .......

They make great search tools for testing water away from your primary hole. In states where multiple rods are allowed, they provide options when you can't hardly jig with 3 or 5 rods at a time. In Idaho and Colorado you use to be able to use 5 on the ice.....may still be able to.

Now that I am in Utah, I admit, I don't use one. But...... I sure don't find them offensive.
It's usually a second pole, especially if you are on a lake that allows even more than 2. Nice way to add to the excitement of catching more fish.
[signature]
[quote ru22dizzle]It's usually a second pole, especially if you are on a lake that allows even more than 2. Nice way to add to the excitement of catching more fish.[/quote]

Agreed!
[signature]
[quote bowdude]I have been following the posts the last few years about the use of the jaw jackers. My question is, and mind you, I am not criticizing, just a "curious mind" wants to know. What is the fun of using one? If I were into catching lots of fish and all I wanted to do was reel them in, then I can see using one. For me, holding onto my pole, watching them on my vex and trying to entice them into biting is the fun of the fish. Kind of like hunting, it is not the kill that is satisfying to me, it is the challenge of trying to outsmart the quarry. Is it just about numbers or the quality and company of the outting? What are your reasons for owning and using one?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I have 3 of them and one of the jigging bases. I generally only fish one rod at a time in my hand while watching my Vexilar. The jackers (where allowed) give me the option of catching (not keeping) more fish. It also allows testing other lure/bait combinations. Flaming Gorge allows the use of 6 rods when ice fishing and most folks take advantage of that in a search for lake trout and burbot where they are encouraged to thin the species population. For me, the adventure onto the ice is made more pleasurable by catching more fish. I don’t normally keep most of what I catch except perch and a few gills or crappie. But the more I catch of any species, the more memorable the trip. With an investment in equipment (snowmobile, multiple shanties/sleds, rods/reels, tackle, etc.) well up into the thousands of dollars, I like to get a lot of bang (caught fish) for my bucks. [/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I usually set mine up about 100 feet away and hook a bell to it .It really gets your adrenaline going when you hear the bell and you get a little excercize running for your pole.
[signature]
I have 3 jackets. I use them if I have the youngsters with me. They are young and haven't grasped the concept of the set yet. So I will set the jacket up to set their fish. And I will use one if the hire is slow, and I drill a hole far away while trying to locate some fish. Other than those reasons, I'm like you and like to have the rod in my hand. Jigging and using the electronics.
[signature]