Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Moon Trolling at Rockport
Buddy and I hit RP this a.m., lines in water about 0900...full moon last nite didn't seem to bother my buddy's bite, and he picked up 2 - 17"ers heading toward the inlet side...I ran the boat and just watched him catch another, before I got fed up and started heading toward the dam...finally I got a 12"er, and had to resist my initial impulse to put 1 in my empty bag on ice, as his 3 really nice keepers were somewhat weighing on my jealous mind...I let 'em go....then 10 mins later I was rewarded by a very healthy 17.5"er, still heading toward the dam area..and almost as soon as I could get my Rainbow Assasin back 90', even before clipping to the DR wire, I got hit again, and another fat 17"er...We did several loops all around this side, at times closer to the dam, but usually out in the middle....planer board Rapalas weren't working for me today, until I put on 2" Rainbow Rapala....last week I had added 1/2 oz weight, but today best was with no added weight (diving depth of it was 5 to 6')....After we each kept a nice 4 fish limit, I released about 5 more, and my buddy released about 10 more....All rainbows caught were surface to about 7' down, and all lures again were tipped w/nite crawler piece...Good a.m. to be on the water...Full Moon? no problem, especially for my buddy this time....Guluk...
[signature]
Great report Joe, did you catch anything else besides bows?, Sounds like you two had a great day. Good to see you on Vet's day.
[signature]
Nice report. I hit RP last Saturday fly fishing from my kickboat and did very well. Like you mentioned they are not deep and in the top 10 feet of the water column. Nice sized and great fighters. Caught one that kept jumping and jumped right into the side of my pontoon. I fished two rods and twice had doubles on, talk about a fire drill! I went to one rod just to reduce the amount of tangles LOL. Taking advantage of the good weather and headed back up Friday.
[signature]
Sounds good, thanks for the good news... Jeff
[signature]
good to see you on Veteran's Day also....that's a really nice service to us that Texas Roadhouse does each year....I've caught a couple German Browns trolling at RP, and 1 thru the ice, but other than that, and Rainbows, I've only caught perch at this res., and they are all thru the ice...Oh, and a carp thru the ice a few years back....If RP has anything else, I've never caught 'em....is there anything else?
[signature]
RP has SM bass but I've never caught one there, it has suckers too.
[signature]
I've caught small mouth bass, yellow perch, rainbow trout, brown trout, channel catfish
and carp out of rock port.
[signature]
Catfish caught on purpose? or as you were trying for something else? recent, or a while ago?
[signature]
Its actually a very good smallmouth location, but I have never caught any size. Working the Rocks with a ned rig or drop shot in the prime smally times will get some action.
[signature]
Guess I'm a Koke, trout, crappie, perch, bluegill, wiper, walleye, and sometimes catfish snob, but I just can't get the bass fishing fever like some guys do....so I never target them....I know, I'm weird, but it's kinda like watching some of (most of) the outdoor sports channels....Hunting, all you see is deer hunting, and I don't deer hunt....Fishing, all you see is bass fishing, and again,................I have caught smallies, as I grew up in Wis. and they were in some of our local rivers and lakes...maybe all the T.V. bass tournaments did me in, I don't know....or maybe it was Billy Bass, the singing fish, or the "Bass O Matic" blender.... What I do know is I'm aging myself here, but if I do catch a real bass - probably not on purpose - I will gently release it back for someone else, 'cuz I just know it's gonna stare at me, flap it's tail, and sing "Please Release Me" until I do ! ......Guluk....now, where's my bass rod....
[signature]
I am much the same - not a bass nut. I do love a spring run to Lake Powell with bass on the mind and will go after them a few times in the year locally just to mix it a bit, but dont plan alot of trips with bass as the primary target.

However, if top water action is happening...well a slurp from a big mouth is pretty much an equivalent to a main line injection of adrenaline.
[signature]